HEN LAYED WEIRD SAC FULL OF BLOOD

Daisycar

Songster
Apr 11, 2020
Italy
Hi everybody! This morning I found on the poop board an egg with blood on the eggshell. It was layed by a leghorn (ex battery) hen, who was sitting in the nesting box. She came to eat but she soon returned to the nesting box remaining there until 4 o'clock pm. Looking in the nest I found this sac full of jelly blood. The hen was acting normal, eating, drinking as nothing was happened.
She's an egg machine: she lay almost every day since I collected her in august. Could someone tell me that's happening? Thank you in advance.
@Eggcessive @azygous @aart

WARNING GRAPHIC PICS
WhatsApp Image 2024-06-25 at 19.17.26.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-06-25 at 19.17.27.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-06-25 at 19.17.27 (1).jpeg

Next time you photograph something no one recognizes, slip a ruler next to it so we know if it's softball size or egg size or marble size. So pick one of those so we know about how big it is.

Since her behavior is perfectly normal, in spite of the grossness of the thing that came out of her, it's likely not anything to worry about. But do watch her behavior and if this happens again, I would then start to think about an infection.

Many thanks @azygous for your kind reply, I'm relieved. Next time I will photograph with a ruler. In this case the weird thing was about 4 cm. Thanks again, have a good day!

It looks like a strange product of her reproductive system. There are some weird looking eggs or products of the oviduct. Sometimes it will be a one of a kind thing, that will not happen again, but it can also signal a problem coming along. Let us know if she does something like this again.

As @Eggcessive mentioned, it's probably a one of a kind spawn of the oviduct. I've been keeping chickens going on two decades and I've found these little surprises in the nest boxes from time to time, some positively perplexing, and most never to be duplicated. Stephen King could get ideas from them for his horror novels.

Back
Top Bottom