Hen loosing feathers, exposed skin.

StormyNo

Hatching
Jul 13, 2024
1721756116166.png
1721756174388.png
1721756216515.png

1-year-old hen began losing feathers and now has exposed skin. She doesn't seem to be getting picked on by the other hens and appears to be eating well and behaving normally. Any ideas on the cause? How can I treat whatever this is? No vets in my city treat chickens.

Hmm. How long has this been happening? This could be just molting that's what this looks like. Also making sure she's getting enough protein. She also could be stressed. Hope this helps and I'm so sorry!

Do you have a rooster? If you do, its probably from mating.

How many birds do you have? How much run and coop space do they have? What is their diet?
I don't have a rooster, I have 5 adult hens and 2 younger pullets, they are separated for now. They have a pretty large coop and run, but I let them roam the yard most of the time. I feed the adults 16% layer pellets, along with oyster shells for calcium and table scraps. Thanks

Hmm. How long has this been happening? This could be just molting that's what this looks like. Also making sure she's getting enough protein. She also could be stressed. Hope this helps and I'm so sorry!
I noticed her starting to lose feathers in June, so its been going on for about a month. Thanks

Have you checked for mites or lice? No other hens are bullying her? Is she doing this to herself?

If no seen pests, might want to check the roost at night with a flashlight to see if you see any mites on the roost. Wipe a paper towel underneath the roost to see if you see red.
Once I had some feather issues with no known cause. I read up on Sulphur dips. It seemed to work.

This isn't molting BTW. But, you could feed her some extra protein black sunflower seed, tuna, cat food, etc. Her feathers will grow back once she molts.

View attachment 3899151View attachment 3899153View attachment 3899154
1-year-old hen began losing feathers and now has exposed skin. She doesn't seem to be getting picked on by the other hens and appears to be eating well and behaving normally. Any ideas on the cause? How can I treat whatever this is? No vets in my city treat chickens.
I don't have a rooster, I have 5 adult hens and 2 younger pullets, they are separated for now.
What's the reason to separate the adults and pullets? Was there drama?

I would observe to see who's mounting her. Loss pattern is consistent to being mounted and plucked.
Even in an all hen flock, this can happen.

You can put a saddle on her to protect the skin, she should replace the feathers once she molts, usually in the fall.

I don't have a rooster, I have 5 adult hens and 2 younger pullets, they are separated for now. They have a pretty large coop and run, but I let them roam the yard most of the time. I feed the adults 16% layer pellets, along with oyster shells for calcium and table scraps. Thanks
A rooster isn't the issue then since you don't have one.
How come the hens and pullets are separated? Were there some fights?
That's good they have some space! Space is very important.
16% percent protein in feed is considered a bit low, something like 18% may be better and help her out more. Also for layer feed they don't need extra calcium from oyster shells, the layer feed is enough.

A rooster isn't the issue then since you don't have one.
How come the hens and pullets are separated? Were there some fights?
That's good they have some space! Space is very important.
16% percent protein in feed is considered a bit low, something like 18% may be better and help her out more. Also for layer feed they don't need extra calcium from oyster shells, the layer feed is enough.
Sometimes hens need more calcium than a layer feed offers. Oyster shell on the side is always a good idea. They only take what they need.

Back
Top Bottom