How do I secure this kennel/run door?

HerdAndHome

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Apr 23, 2024
Atlanta GA, USA
A couple more steps to a secure run, but this has me stumped. Door only opens out, and the latch has to be accessible from inside so I don't get trapped. I don't want it to look all patched together like a 12 year old did it - which would be what happens is I come up with something myself. Any tips are appreciated. Picture of Dot with her mohawk and her bestie Lacey for inspiration. They're so cute and I don't want anything to get them!
1000015889.jpg

1000015877.jpg

I figured out how to best secure the door to my Retriever dog lot run:
  • I used a 1x8 on each side and a 1x6 at the top on the inside of the run.
1000016398.jpg

• I used lag bolts and some small pieces of the leftover 1x's as anchors for the lags outside the run.
1000016402.jpg

• To keep night creepers out from the latch area I hinged the cutaway piece and use a slide bolt to close shut it at night.
1000016404.jpg

I use a locking carabiner on the latch on the outside at all times.

So far so good!

I figured out how to best secure the door to my Retriever dog lot run:
  • I used a 1x8 on each side and a 1x6 at the top on the inside of the run.
View attachment 3924660
  • I used lag bolts and some small pieces of the leftover 1x's as anchors for the lags outside the run.
View attachment 3924662
  • To keep night creepers out from the latch area I hinged the cutaway piece and use a slide bolt to close shut it at night.
View attachment 3924664

I use a locking carabiner on the latch on the outside at all times.

So far so good!
Wow what a great job you did covering up gaps, and nice clear photos! I wouldn't have thought of making hinged covers for access of the latch.

Back
Top Bottom