How good is good enough to put my chicken with heatstroke somewhat outside?

crunchygranola

Songster
May 6, 2024
I had a chicken with heatstroke a few days ago and she’s been residing in my room so I can keep a close eye on her. I also don’t have a dog crate to put her in…
I pick up any droppings and disinfect the area daily, have an air purifier, and keep it well ventilated. Though, I will be away for over a week this upcoming Monday and I’m a little stressed on where I should put her.
She’s doing much better than she was and she’s now pretty alert and perky and eating and drinking. The only thing I really see is her still laying down a lot and struggling to get up.
Any ideas on how long it might be until I can start putting her in rotations outside?

What is your coop and run like outside? Is there shade and multiple water and food stations? Pictures can help. Are you keeping other chickens? You really need to have a wire dog crate to separate a sick chicken. Borrow one, or try to buy an inexpensive one. Craigslist and other selling sights have them. I built a wooden box and covered it with 1/2 inch hardware cloth wire fencing, for a chicken crate. With chickens, you will always have a need for a pen or crate to use. You just cannot leave a chicken in your room for a week on its own. Water needs changed and filled, and food given. They need to be outside, and close to other chickens, even if in a crate. Do you have a friend or relative to care for them while you are gone.

What is your coop and run like outside? Is there shade and multiple water and food stations? Pictures can help. Are you keeping other chickens? You really need to have a wire dog crate to separate a sick chicken. Borrow one, or try to buy an inexpensive one. Craigslist and other selling sights have them. I built a wooden box and covered it with 1/2 inch hardware cloth wire fencing, for a chicken crate. With chickens, you will always have a need for a pen or crate to use. You just cannot leave a chicken in your room for a week on its own. Water needs changed and filled, and food given. They need to be outside, and close to other chickens, even if in a crate. Do you have a friend or relative to care for them while you are gone.
I am currently searching for a sitter. The coop is entirely in the shade next to a water station and they are given 24/7 access ro free range now that I’ve moved it to an area where they can.
There’s a small kiddie pool with about 3 inches of cool water, a large waterer with ice inside, and a small tub w very cool water and a cooling brick. There’s also a fan set up against it to help regulate it all.
I purchased the dog crate and got her set up in my garage with a fan and my garage is air conditioned.
I have someone to take care of my main flock, it’s just my sick one that needs a sitter.

It dropped down from 98 to 75 in a day and it was cloudy and the ground was very cool from last nights storm, so I allowed her outside for a bit. She did well and is moving with her flock.

I had a chicken with heatstroke a few days ago and she’s been residing in my room so I can keep a close eye on her. I also don’t have a dog crate to put her in…
I pick up any droppings and disinfect the area daily, have an air purifier, and keep it well ventilated. Though, I will be away for over a week this upcoming Monday and I’m a little stressed on where I should put her.
She’s doing much better than she was and she’s now pretty alert and perky and eating and drinking. The only thing I really see is her still laying down a lot and struggling to get up.
Any ideas on how long it might be until I can start putting her in rotations outside?
When my chicken had heatstroke she got better withing 3 days after some iced honey water and small pieces of watermelon ( her favorite treat ) with her food. She would move alot for the watermelon piece and then hide with it privately and eat it. So I suggest mixing some honey in water and try putting a treat ( that's not a filler ) she likes slightly away from where she normally eats/ drinks and see if she goes for it. I hope she gets better and that any of this info can help her get back to normal! <33

Back
Top Bottom