Humidity variation and effect on incubation

Susan Skylark

Songster
Apr 9, 2024
I bought a cheap incubator and some temp/hygrometers. I’ve been playing around with it on some chicken fridge eggs and fertility checking my young quail but haven’t taken anything to hatch. The temp is very consistent, egg turning seems fine, but the humidity is all over the map. I’m not using the water bottle attachment as that keeps it at 80 percent or so (too much for quail even in lockdown!) but have been adding 5cc water several times a day, aiming for 40-50 percent average but have a 20-65 percent range. Is it okay for the humidity to bounce around a bit as long as the average is reasonable, air cell is expanding at the correct rate and the lockdown humidity is stable? Or will this daily variance have effects on hatching? Thanks! I’d like to know before incubating anything I plan to keep.

Humidity is increased by surface area of water not the amount of water. So, if you can find the right size shot glass, jar lid or something like that that holds much more water but has right size surface area for correct humidity. This option is much easier as you aren't always adding and much less variances in humidity.

Surface area! Brilliant, thanks, the hard part is only the bottle cap from a soda bottle will fit, but I can use multiple if necessary to get the right balance. I’ll give it a try!

It is a tiny incubator with a square plastic grid that moves back and forth, not much room for extras, actually have to pot the hygrometer/thermometers in the turner in place of an egg. Bottle cap keeps it at 62 percent, will try a smaller cap (45 is goal). Don’t need much water, this thing is too good at retaining humidity, no vent so I open the lid a couple times a day for fresh air. 5 ml (1 tsp) gives me 60 percent humidity for 10 hours!

Back
Top Bottom