Hurricane coming… what to do with chicks?

Mar 27, 2024
I have 3.5 week old chicks outside.. and we have a Cat. 1 hurricane coming that they think will get worse. We don t have room for them Inside.. I can’t do any heavy lifting to put boards on the walls of the kennel or anything like that.. (Severely sprained my wrist during a volleyball game) and I just don’t know what to do.. or if they’re gonna be okay. And I’m starting to worry

They don’t have a coop or anything? Just a kennel brooder outside?

If you have absolutely no space inside or in a garage, maybe a friend or neighbor can take them for a day?

Adult Chickens are pretty hardy and know when to seek shelter but the babies may not survive the cold and wind. They’re not fully feathered at that age.

I went through Beryl recently but my chicks were closer to 18 weeks old at the time and had access to a coop with a roof and walls.

As long as the chicks are kept out of the wind and wet, they will be okay. If moving them indoors or into a shed isn't an option, I would move the kennel so it is right next to the house on the lee side of your house. Since this storm will be coming from the SE/SSE, you could put it against the north side of your house or other building. Protect it from rain with whatever you have on hand, such as a roofing panel or even a tarp. You'll want to secure the roofing with ropes or straps so it can't blow away.If you are somewhere it might flood, elevate the kennel so it won't flood.

How long have the chicks been outside? Since they're small, they will get chilled easily, especially if they get wet. If you lose power, you can help them keep warm with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel so they don't burn themselves.

See if you can get some help since you are injured! In my experience, everyone helps each other prep for and clean up after hurricanes. I hope it all goes okay! Please be well.

Back
Top Bottom