I am having trouble identifying worms

Lgjcwindow

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Northeastern Oklahoma
I had a chicken die about a week ago. She was weak and laying in the corner of the run or coop for a few days beforehand. A few days later another chicken was doing the same thing, but hasn't died. I searched the web with her symptoms of lethargy, hardly eating, watery poop.... thinking I might have a "backyard" epidemic on my hands. None of the diseases I looked up seemed to completely describe her symptoms (one or two symptoms in disease descriptions were off). Tonight, I was watching her and she had a watery poop, but this time I saw little worms. I never thought I would be happy to see worms, but at least I thought I could now address the problem. Unfortunately, the worm pics I've seen online, don't look like hers. They definitely were not round worms. Maybe small tape worms. They were about 1/2 long and kind of looked transparent. There were about 4-5 little worms in that one watery poop. Does anyone know what they are or how I should treat them. I had some wormer for round worms I put in their water, but I doubt this will help since they don't look like roundworms. I would appreciate any advice. I've been obsessed about this for several days. :(

Buy either Safeguard liquid goat wormer or valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Both are administered orally undiluted. If your feed store doesnt carry them, they can be ordered from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. They ship quick.
Dosage for the goat wormer is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. The safeguard liquid goat wormer will not kill tapeworms nor flukes.
Dosage for the valbazen is 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Valbazen kills all worms that chickens can get including flukes.
Redose them again in 10 days with either product. There's a 24 day withdrawal start to finish.

smile.png
Thank you so much for your advice, Dawg53!!! I think my Co-op should have both of those. I will try the full spectrum Valbazen first. Maybe I can stop worrying about these girls. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks again for responding, I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom