I have no idea what this is…Chicken is very sick

ZionHill

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
I’ve been treating this chicken for almost 3 weeks now, it started out with a swollen eye as her other eye was missing when I bought her so she’s been completely blind since this has started. I’m treating the eye with Terramycin and given her LA 200 SQ injection for 8 days. There was no improvement and I feel like she got worse. She became very congested in the beginning and wheezing and that is not as bad but now her skin is flaking off on her face and crown and one side looks so red. I clean the eye twice a day been giving her vet RX, syringe feed her giving her fresh garlic with scrambled eggs and oregano along with baby bird formula for calories. Hydrohen electrolytes, B complex injections along with Poultry Cell orally. I’ve also put colloidal silver in her eye and orally since stopped the LA200 . I also did a couple of drops of ivermectin under her wings on the back of her neck, just in case this was parasite related.

None of my other chickens have been affected by this. I do let them free range most of the week. I can only think she got to maybe bird poop from a wild bird that was sick. I have no idea. They’re all fed organic feed and scraps. I give them herbs and supplements to keep them healthy.

I love this chicken so much. I’m doing everything to save her. I don’t know what I’m missing. I don’t even know exactly what she has. I’ve never experienced this. I’ve only owned chickens for about a year and a half now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpeg
    IMG_2039.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2041.jpeg
    IMG_2041.jpeg
    694.9 KB · Views: 4
Please verify which eye is the affected eye.

Have you at any point attempted to remove the pus from the swollen eye?
The left eye is the one that became infected and now it seems like her entire head is infected

It's very advanced, and I'm guessing you've made no attempts to remove the pus. This is absolutely necessary in these infections surrounding the eye, because bacteria keep multiplying in the moist nutrients of the pus, making it impossible for the antibiotic to get ahead of the infection.

I advise you to have a vet treat her since the infection is so out of control at this point. However, if you are up to trying, you need to apply pressure at the outer edges of the swelling and push the pus toward the eye where you can then remove it. Failure to do this will cause her to go blind in that eye if she hasn't already.

It's very advanced, and I'm guessing you've made no attempts to remove the pus. This is absolutely necessary in these infections surrounding the eye, because bacteria keep multiplying in the moist nutrients of the pus, making it impossible for the antibiotic to get ahead of the infection.

I advise you to have a vet treat her since the infection is so out of control at this point. However, if you are up to trying, you need to apply pressure at the outer edges of the swelling and push the pus toward the eye where you can then remove it. Failure to do this will cause her to go blind in that eye if she hasn't already.

I’m actually squeezing out the pus every day twice a day and cleaning it out. The picture that you see of her right side where the eye is already missing that white piece of hard puss just developed today. There is actually no opening on her eye on that side for over a year and it somehow worked its way through, however, she’s already blind in that eye when I got her

Back
Top Bottom