Hsb0234

Hatching
Aug 30, 2024
She has this awkward backward twisted leg, it gets caught and it’s so awkward for her..
I was honestly thinking I could amputate it myself.

I’m 15 and if it matters, I have a high IQ, I’m level 1 gifted, and I’m very much capable of completing it.
But I won’t get ahead of myself, it’s a big deal, and especially possibly doing it without training
Obviously I'll read up a crap ton and check everything possible and I'd use lidocaine and numb her up really well and stuff, but idk, it doesn't seem that hard🤷‍♀️

I love her - don't get me wrong, but I don't have any money, and even if I did I wouldn't spend $2,000 on a chicken leg amputation, and there's no way in hell my parents would pay that anyway
I want a vet appointment so they can assess her and what could be done but I really don't think there's much anyone could do to fix it.
I would make sure she was completely numb and couldn't feel it, and I would probably amputate at the upper tibia and round out the bone and stitch her up..
I still need to gather more info and look into it more.
I think it would be a scary experience for both me and her... but her leg gets caught and it's just so sad watching her drag around this useless limb when I'm sure I could easily help her

My parents - with good reason, would probably freak out,, but I’m good at convincing haha

I also am looking for tips from vets, this is risky and not what I planned on doing in life.😣

And this is just hypothetical,, I hope there is something easier to fix her leg though, and I still need that vet appointment, everytime I call there's something going on that they can't pick up or somthing and now I'm frustrated and determined to help her

It’s crazy sounding, but at this point I’m determined. I’ve seen chicken leg amputations and they hop on one leg just fine. She is also a house chicken, my best friend. She loves sleeping with me, cuddling in blankets, and mealworms😋

She usually doesn’t touch her leg to the ground when standing up, and she sometimes falls over because it’s so awkward and tips her over. And she tries to prop it up when she lays down, she finds a part of my blanket where she’s able to put her hip up on it.

I’m not sure if it’s:
-Dislocated
-broken
-vitamin deficiency
-is a neurological disorder
-or a splay leg

Whatever it is, I still want her to live a happy life. And she gets it caught on blankets, and she tips dishes by accident, and that leg needs help or to go

She’s about 4 months old, small for her age I believe. She was with other chickens who bullied her, until I came and took her home.

I could probably order lidocaine, syringe needle things, stitch needles and things for sewing it up, and to be honest, I think a steak knife and a metal file would work, obviously all sterile.

Thank you, any tips or anything is greatly appreciated.

Please ignore messy room - I am in the middle of cleaning it. And pictures of shrimp on the wall are from when I was 12 haha

She is crouching on the floor in the last photo I had woken her up to take photos and she was tired, when she stands the bad leg does not touch the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_7014.jpeg
    IMG_7014.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7013.jpeg
    IMG_7013.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7012.jpeg
    IMG_7012.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7011.jpeg
    IMG_7011.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7009.jpeg
    IMG_7009.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 8
I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself 😂

Let’s see if we can find out what the problem is first.

Do you think you could do a video and put it here for us to see how she’s walking … or not.

Can she wiggle her toes ?
Can she move any part of the leg at all ?
Can you feel any breaks ?
Can you see any wounds ?
When you feel over the leg does she flinch, wiggle, cry or anything to give us any idea where the problem is ?

She will need to be kept apart from the others until this problem is resolved. Do you have a dog cage or something to keep her safe ?

Hugz

I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself 😂

Let’s see if we can find out what the problem is first.

Do you think you could do a video and put it here for us to see how she’s walking … or not.

Can she wiggle her toes ?
Can she move any part of the leg at all ?
Can you feel any breaks ?
Can you see any wounds ?
When you feel over the leg does she flinch, wiggle, cry or anything to give us any idea where the problem is ?

She will need to be kept apart from the others until this problem is resolved. Do you have a dog cage or something to keep her safe ?

Hugz
Yes, I tend to get ahead of myself, it’s sat on my mind for so long😅

thank you for your response. I keep her in a dog crate. She is mine to keep, she won’t be going back with other chickens, she’s just a house chicken now. She can move her toes, and hip a bit, she clenches them and releases, she also seems to have curled toes on the bad leg, and a little bit of on the good leg. I don’t think she can feel her knee, but I do think she can feel her foot. I’ve felt her leg and maybe there could have been a break? I really have no clue. Her hip is definitely wonky and the knee is twisted a bit. Touching her hip seemed to maybe pain her a little, unless she was just fed up with me😂 She’s had this issue since she was a chick, and it’s just been like that. I’ve tried to position her leg back into place but it physically can’t go it feels like. I’ll put in videos, she really wants to be held all the time, I think it’s because she feels the most steady when I hold her. I’m sorry if it looks like I’m squeezing her, I swear I’m not haha, I think my finger go into her fluff making it seem as though I’m squeezing

The only way I could figure out how to put the videos on was to post them unlisted🤦‍♀️

Let me know what you think
Thank you❤️

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your disabled chick. Was she hatched by a friend? Many chicks can be born with slipped tendons or leg bone deformities such as twisted tibia, or varus valgus deformity. I can’t tell if she has a rotated tibia or if she has a valgus deformity. Nothing can be done about those. Curled under toes may be treated at the first day or two of life, but it is too late and would be painful now. Most of these chicks are put down early when tiny because they will require care for life in feeding and watering. Chicken sling chairs and wheelchairs are used by some, but I would think about the quality of life that she has. Here are some good examples of slings on the first 2 pages:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Chickens need to be with others, and you may not have time to constantly give her the care she needs.

I would never consider amputating her leg at home, and there is no reason to think she could get around with one leg. In the links below, it shows pictures of those deformities mentioned above:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...gular-(Valgus/Varus)-Leg-Deformities_v3343383

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers

Download this one for good pictures:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom