Ideas for building somewhere my pullets can escape too?

Allegra17

Chirping
Mar 18, 2022
I currently have a gated area in my backyard where we have a chicken coop inside for 3 of my hens. The door gets opened to their coo each morning so they get to explore the larger area. In that lather area, we have a cage set up with my 2 newest additions, 10 weeks old currently. It’s a see, no touch situation and has been this way for weeks.

I let the younger ladies out sometimes but one of my older hens always gives them a hard time and has even pecked their face to bleed on multiple occasions.

I want my young ones to have a bigger area because they’re outgrowing the cage but I don’t know how to have a safe escape for when they want away. I tried building something but they are getting closer and closer in size to my hens so my mean hen actually got into their cage with them and it got wild.

Any ideas how I can easily manage letting them get used to actually sharing the area while also having an escape for them? Here’s pics of my younger ladies and my offending hen (the black one).

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpeg
    IMG_0839.jpeg
    639 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4366.jpeg
    IMG_4366.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 10
I might be a good idea to put the pullets into the coop at night (separated from the hens so they aren't bullied) so that the hens get used to having them there and they don't associate the pullets with "outside". Other than that, it might just be a waiting game as the pullets get bigger and more confident to defend themselves

My friend suggests to put them in runs side by side but with fencing to keep them separate. Place the food and water back to back along the divider. By having them eating "together" it can help with integrating. Plus they see each other. This is how she does 95% of hers.

Here's what I do to integrate new chicks into the flock:
1. Once the chicks are off heat, I put them in a grow-out pen which is right next to where the flock eats and drinks. At first I keep the two groups completely separate, so they can see but not touch.
2. When the chicks are around 8 weeks old, I open a small hole in the hardware cloth separating the two areas big enough for the chicks to easily move back and forth, but too small for the big chicken to get into the grow-out pen. This gives the chicks somewhere to hide and ensures they have access to feed and water.
3. Once all of the chicks are frequently venturing out and they are comfortable exploring their new space, I move the food out of the grow-out pen, so the chicks are forced to integrate a bit more when they eat. I add a second feeder rather than make everyone share to reduce competition. Later, I do the same with the water. It's important to keep a close eye on everyone at this stage to make sure they aren't getting too beat up and that everyone has a chance to eat and drink.
4. Eventually, I close off all access to the grow-out pen completely. Timing depends on the number of chicks, but I can usually tell they are ready for this step when a couple of the bravest chicks begin roosting in the main coop with the big girls on their own.

For this to work, it's critical to have enough space and feeders/waterers. My run is large and has lots of shrubs and obstacles which gives the babies lots of places to hide and explore. When the hens are off in the run, it also gives the chicks time and space to eat and drink. I have also learned the hard way that the grow-out pen must be snake-proof since we have lots of rat snakes.

My chicks are your age too! They really like this chicks-only space I made for them. It’s just an upside down plastic bin. I cut two doorways into it on opposite sides (about 4-6 inches tall) and it has 4 holes near the top, one on each side. I included those for ventilation but I’ve seen the chicks get in using those holes. They love hanging out in there and the big girls can’t get in.

Attachments

• IMG_3680.jpeg
    IMG_3680.jpeg
    807.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3071.jpeg
    IMG_3071.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3316.jpeg
    IMG_3316.jpeg
    582.8 KB · Views: 6
Realistically your "little" ones are way too big for a chick only escape area, so you're going to need to rely on cluttering up the area to break up line of sight and provide them as many hiding areas as possible. Make sure none of the "hiding spots" are dead ends so young birds don't get cornered, every spot should have at least an entrance and exit.

If you don't already have multiple feeders and waterers I'd add extras and spread them out so line of sight from one to another is broken up.

Back
Top Bottom