Indio walking?

From my own experience with Shamo LF I can say that large and heavy breeds with long legs undergo growth spurts that can easily bring too much weight on the then still soft and not sufficiently calcified bones, so I found it very important to restrict their access to feed during certain growth phases and add brewers yeast and silicea to help the tendons to keep up with the growth spurts of the bones.

Ever since I took the above mentioned precautions they no longer had leg issues.

The restricted feeding with additives during certain growth phases is also recommended for giant and heavy dog breeds like Great Danes, Irish Wolfhounds, Mastiffs and similar that also undergo growth spurts at a certain young age, to avoid bone issues like hip displasia, valgus deformaties and similar.

Hi, It's been a while since your last post, wondering how your little roo boy made out & if you have any more info on this. I have Indio Gigantes & have experienced similar leg issue on several occasions too. Same as you, all chicks equally running around normally, and issue arises at about 4-5 month age.

Out of initial 13 chicks (from reputable FL breeder), had 1 roo develop that way. He's kept separate & hasn't bred with any others. He walks with a limp, but's almost 4yrs old now & otherwise normal. Over past couple yrs, I've had 2 hens develop this at same 4-5 mo age, 1 progressed til she could no longer walk & had to be put down & other hen is almost a yr old & limps, or if she's in a hurry, hops around like a kangaroo, but otherwise normal.

I don't know if maybe it's something specific to indio gigante breed? I don't think it's due to injury, it just seems to happen.

Any info would be helpful as I can't figure it out!
Sadly my boy did not make it. I have discovered that it is a breed thing due to how quickly they grow.
Since I have changed their feed I've not had a problem. I mix feather fixer and game bird feed. Many people are afraid to give them too much protein but that is not the issue. I also give them a scoop of oyster shells once a week to keep their calcium up.
For another questions or updates have a farm facebook page called Boss's Barns! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61550931279838&mibextid=ZbWKwL

So sorry to hear that IndioHatch 😢 It's so heartbreaking after watching them grow & develop over several months!

Thank You for feeding info, I've been feeding Kalmbach Flock Raiser because I've read about too much protein issue, supposedly less protein slows growth somewhat. They love that food, but obviously, by itself, it's not working here, so I may add the feather fixer.

And thanks for input LaFleche, reading on Silicea, that's interesting. I see it comes in liquid, powder tabs - what form and dose do you give to your birds?

. I see it comes in liquid, powder tabs - what form and dose do you give to your birds?
It depends on the amount of birds you want to supplement. I used 1 teaspoon of powder per 10 birds added to my premix and given 3 times per week. Additional calcium + Vitamin D3 can help too, but becareful not to overdose.

Back
Top Bottom