Integrating new chickens into old

Gracie0603

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2024
IMG_4363.jpeg
IMG_4364.jpeg

Hi, I need ideas for integrating my four new 17-week-old into my flock of 2(they are 2.5 years old). I only have one coop and run. The 4 new birds live under the coop with a pen separate at night. In the daytime, both the new and old birds are free-roaming in the backyard. They have seen each other in the run(with pen separated) and in the backyard(when free roaming) for 3 weeks. I sometimes see my two old hens chase the pullets when they are free-roaming. I want the new ones to sleep in the coop at night just like the old ones, they can rest on the roosting bar, while I know the old hens rest in the nesting box. Any ideas for integrating can avoid the old hens bully the new birds? Thanks!

The older hens will bully the pullets before they integrate into the flock. There is really no way around that. But there are ways to minimize the impact and trauma. You've already been working on the best way, by having them in a see but not touch situation for three weeks. I think that is long enough and it's time to get them together. You can always put the young ones back and start again if things go wrong.

First, you need to make sure there is enough space for them all. Lack of space will cause big problems with integration. Each bird needs a minimum of 4 square feet of coop space and 8 square feet of run space.

Next, if possible, set up another feeder and watering station, preferably out of sight of the one you have now. It's important to make sure the young ones get enough food and water.

Another good thing to do is to set up stuff in the run where the new ones can hide or fly up onto to get out of harm's way. Branches, old tires, anything you have that can create that safe space for them.

Finally, it usually works best to put the new ones onto the roost at night. In the morning, you can monitor how things are going, and it's a good idea to keep watch for a couple of weeks to make sure things are going smoothly.

As I wrote before, there will be bullying. But if it is sustained or the newbies are injured or bleeding, best to separate them until they heal. Especially the bleeding part.

Best of luck. I hope it works out. Remember, people integrate new birds into existing flocks all the time. It'll take some trouble but it's totally doable.

I put like 4 broods (three weeks apart, and one brood at a time)into a small cage in my run until my hens got used to new flock members and now if I add more birds it’s kinda like “oh your new just keep your distance” and they may peck a little… but with babies it’s kinda just an acceptance that this 2 ounce thing is now eating with them, like my ten pound rooster lets the chicks bully him and will let them sleep under or on him.
7B99E9B5-3085-4BE5-A466-EE5C459A3249.jpeg

Sooooooo basically just put something in the coop with them in it

The older hens will bully the pullets before they integrate into the flock. There is really no way around that. But there are ways to minimize the impact and trauma. You've already been working on the best way, by having them in a see but not touch situation for three weeks. I think that is long enough and it's time to get them together. You can always put the young ones back and start again if things go wrong.

First, you need to make sure there is enough space for them all. Lack of space will cause big problems with integration. Each bird needs a minimum of 4 square feet of coop space and 8 square feet of run space.

Next, if possible, set up another feeder and watering station, preferably out of sight of the one you have now. It's important to make sure the young ones get enough food and water.

Another good thing to do is to set up stuff in the run where the new ones can hide or fly up onto to get out of harm's way. Branches, old tires, anything you have that can create that safe space for them.

Finally, it usually works best to put the new ones onto the roost at night. In the morning, you can monitor how things are going, and it's a good idea to keep watch for a couple of weeks to make sure things are going smoothly.

As I wrote before, there will be bullying. But if it is sustained or the newbies are injured or bleeding, best to separate them until they heal. Especially the bleeding part.

Best of luck. I hope it works out. Remember, people integrate new birds into existing flocks all the time. It'll take some trouble but it's totally doable.
Thanks so much for this detailed and encouraging response! I put the young n

thanks so much for this detailed and encouraging response! I placed the new young birds in the coop tonight, will see how it goes tomorrow morning.

Hi there. I am chiming in here because we are dealing with a very similar thing and I hesitate to start a whole new thread when this seems to be covered so much. Basically I would love feedback on getting the younger flock to feel comfortable going into the coop at night with the older hens. We have been manually moving them ourselves once it gets dark, and then I get up early to make sure everything is OK and open the door if it needs it. But the biggest issue is at night they are not going into the coop we want them to go into. Is this just going to be the way it is until they are more mature, laying-age?

But the biggest issue is at night they are not going into the coop we want them to go into. Is this just going to be the way it is until they are more mature, laying-age?
If you want them to permanently move into a different coop, you need to close off or remove the old one. Otherwise they have no reason to move over.

Would that be safe to do if they are being chased out of the main coop from the older hens and rooster? Another issue is they have discovered the Persimmon tree and that is their preferred coop, which we really can't have. We are worried that taking away the old coop might lead to them having no place they feel safe to go as backup?

Would that be safe to do if they are being chased out of the main coop from the older hens and rooster? Another issue is they have discovered the Persimmon tree and that is their preferred coop, which we really can't have. We are worried that taking away the old coop might lead to them having no place they feel safe to go as backup?
How big is the coop and how many birds total? How many roost bars? Can the coop be divided?

Do the two groups get along in the day time in the run or free range area? How long have they been integrated together outside of the coop? How old are the younger ones?

Coop is 8x4. 16' of roosting bars and the 3 bantams usually sleep on floor anyway. We have done several nights where everyone is in there together and they seem fine, the issue is we have to put them in their ourselves and that is a chore.

They get along fine during the day, have been together free ranging outside for over 2 months. Younger ones are almost 16 weeks old.

Coop is 8x4. 16' of roosting bars and the 3 bantams usually sleep on floor anyway. We have done several nights where everyone is in there together and they seem fine, the issue is we have to put them in their ourselves and that is a chore.
Yeah it's a hassle but consistent reinforcement should go a long way. As long as the younger group has some place to go (even the floor is fine) where they can be cooped safely, I'd be satisfied with that as the first step.

How many birds total in each age bracket?

Back
Top Bottom