Is it a problem for 70days old cayuga duckling to live with adult ducks?

Bojilov

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2023
Hello and first of all-sorry for my not good English language.Here in my country is difficult to find cayuga ducks.I have ordered 3 ducks from seller who lives more than 500km away.I have ordered him two 1-year old females and one 1-year old drake.Today the ducks arrived.But the seller made a mistake and arrived with one 1year old drake,one 1year old female and one 70days old duckling.
Here is middle of the summer,it is very hot and I preffered not to travel the duckling extra 500km to be returned and paid and for it.
The problem is that I have not place where to live this duckling separate from my other adult ducks.My yard is very big and wide so during the day will not be a problem for the duckling to find place to hide if there are some signs of agression towards him.
But the problem is for the nights.My DUCK HOME is not very wide-4square meters for all 11 ducks.All my other ducks are female,there are not any drakes,exept newly bought cayuga drake.Most of them have relatively mild and calm temperament,exept one (it is useless to say, but of course is Khakki :))) ).Bit some of them are enormous-I have pekin female,also one half-breed between Mallard and Rouen.
The cayugas arrived before 4-5hours so it is early for some kind of conclusions but I have not seen any kind of agression from the old females towards the duckling.Only the cayuga drake sometimes peck the duckling,but not so strong and I think that it is not any kind of serious agression.
I am afraid-does some of the adult females can kill him?Or the cayga drake?
If You think that there may be some danger for the duckling-I will try to improvise some home for it for the evenings-maybe some hard paper box in which the duckling will live in room in my house for 2-3 weeks.But will be very stressful for the bird to live alone at the nights in the room in my house.
So I prefer if You think that there will not be danger-to let the duckling to sleep with adilts.
Thanks for any kinds of advices for this situation!

I don't know if you have the room in their house but a dog crate in there would keep the duckling safe over night That way it would help everyone to get used to each other also. . During the day if things get rough there is maybe a way to section off a bit of property to keep the duckling and maybe another of your laid back female in with it or the female that came with it. Is it her duckling? it is def. too young to be with a drake you never know how they will react.

By the words of the seller the 1yo male and 1yo female are his parents and they have always been living together without any problems.But I am not sure does it is true or not.And I am also thinking that the biggest danger is from the drake.By the way I am not sure for the real age of the old cayugas.All three birds look some kind of malnutrated and not good feeded.He says that they are 1yo,even maybe 1year and 6 months.I have 1year and 6months female Khakki which have to be smaller,but the khakki is bigger than the drake,and twice bigger then the cayuga female.Later today I will try to make some photos of the cayugas.I have ducks like domestic pets from 35years ago,but I never had cauygas so I will need Yours help to reveal the real age of the cayugas.
Some of the duck sellers are not quite sincere and the correct decission was to not pay and return the birds.But additional 500km travel at 113F temperature is absolutelly bad idea.I do not even know how they arrived 500km alive without water or air conditioning in his car.

Last edited:
I have a 4 yr old Cayuga who is now speckled with white that usually starts around 2 ys. I think with proper food and care you can get them healthy and they will be a great part of your flock. My Cayuga is adopted by me in Jan of this year and she is the sweetest duck.
I look forward to seeing pictures.

Back
Top Bottom