Is it time to integrate the chicks?

Lils Roost

Chirping
Apr 21, 2024
Connecticut
I'd love your input based on your experiences. This is the first time I've gotten new chicks to add to my flock and I want the process to go as smoothly as possible. I have 3, 10 wk old chicks and 3, 1 yr. old layers. They are in separate coops but the coop and attached run that the chicks are in is parallel (about 6 inches apart) to the older ladies run and it's been this way for a month now. When I first brought the 6 wk. old chicks home the coop/runs were set up the exact way so they've had a month now of experiencing each other through the hardware cloth. The chicks now go out in grass a bit in a small run area so they could get some fresh grass. This morning I saw that the older ladies were trying to dig under the run in the corner where the chicks are and I'm wondering if it's getting close to integration day. The older ladies are not loud or acting upset with the chicks at all.

Also, from your experience and with their set up the way it's been for the past month, do you think I still need a separate integrated area inside the large coop run? I plan to put in places for the littles to retreat to and I'll take a plastic tote and create a little hut for them to sneak into if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_2260.jpg
    IMG_2260.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the photos and details. Now sounds like a great time to integrate! I think the new chicks will likely be fine regardless of how you do it. I like to put out an extra feeder and waterer for awhile to reduce competition.

Do your hens free range at all during the day? If not, I might give the chicks access to a hen-free hiding place by cutting a hole big enough for the chicks to get in but small enough to keep the hens out. This might help keep the chicks from getting cornered.

Thanks for the photos and details. Now sounds like a great time to integrate! I think the new chicks will likely be fine regardless of how you do it. I like to put out an extra feeder and waterer for awhile to reduce competition.

Do your hens free range at all during the day? If not, I might give the chicks access to a hen-free hiding place by cutting a hole big enough for the chicks to get in but small enough to keep the hens out. This might help keep the chicks from getting cornered.
Thanks for your input! Unfortunately they can't free range because of the predators here. And I planned on getting a larger tote that I'd turn upside down and cut a small door shape out of it. And I was anticipating doing just as you said with the opening being the right size for the chicks but too small for the hens.

This will be this weekend's big adventure. Finger's crossed...🤞

What a cute little set up you have!! I agree that this is a great age to integrate. I can tell you that my quick, easy success has had a lot to do with free-ranging... Can you maybe just stage a "meet and greet," by setting up temporary wire fencing around the whole set-up, supervised by you close to roosting time (that way they go in to roost and you lock up,) then do it again the next day, etc. until you have them all roosting together. Is one of your coops big enough for all 6 to roost together?

What a cute little set up you have!! I agree that this is a great age to integrate. I can tell you that my quick, easy success has had a lot to do with free-ranging... Can you maybe just stage a "meet and greet," by setting up temporary wire fencing around the whole set-up, supervised by you close to roosting time (that way they go in to roost and you lock up,) then do it again the next day, etc. until you have them all roosting together. Is one of your coops big enough for all 6 to roost together?
I really like your suggestion about a mutual meeting area. Unfortunately I don't have enough fencing to do an area around the whole coop, but I could definitely have a space that could connect the two doors. I think that may be the best way to do this. Then they can be together but retreat to their own coops as they're used to. Then that can build each day. Safe spaces for all. The coop / run with the metal roof is good sized. I just had it built this summer. The coop is raised as you can see and 5' x 6'. It has two levels of roosts that total about 10 ft in length. And the covered run is 19' x 8'. It's hard to tell the size by the picture.

Later this Fall I plan to get PremierOne fencing to have an outdoor run off the back of the metal covered run.

You've eased my mind quite a bit! Thanks so much!

Update and a little more advice if I may....
So the grand adventure of integrating the chicks began and the first step was to do as @SandyRiverChick suggested and stage a meet and greet area. I've attached a picture of it in case any other people are starting this process. The green looking part is the meeting area. There's a little door on the backside of the hen run that I open so all of them can go back and forth.

I must be honest and say that I was kind of stressed about whether my hens were going to go after the chicks. Well, it was a complete NON ISSUE! They all got along just fine. I was shocked to be honest. I do think that having the chicks in the run parallel to the hen run for a month made a huge difference. Day one, the hens came out into the greet area as did the chicks = all was well. The hens did take up residence in the chicks run, but that was their previous home so I wasn't that surprised. Day two (today) the chicks not only went into the hen's run but got very brave and went up into their coop. All of that went smooth, but I need to share that the hens were outside in the meeting area and may not have seen the activity up into the coop.

My concern is that my hens are eating every bit of food that's there. All of their food, all of the chicks food and even the extra chick food that I put out because I don't think the chicks are getting enough. And today there is one hen that seems to be a bit snippy towards the chicks but only when they're in the hen run. I know that's normal.

My next question pertains to the food. I'll be working tomorrow so they won't be together all day. This will definitely help the chicks to get filled up. But when they are back together, and the hens are eating everything in sight, how should I deal with that? Maybe keep the chicks and hens separate so the chicks get a good amount of food before letting them together?

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 8
My concern is that my hens are eating every bit of food that's there. All of their food, all of the chicks food and even the extra chick food that I put out because I don't think the chicks are getting enough. And today there is one hen that seems to be a bit snippy towards the chicks but only when they're in the hen run. I know that's normal.

My next question pertains to the food. I'll be working tomorrow so they won't be together all day. This will definitely help the chicks to get filled up. But when they are back together, and the hens are eating everything in sight, how should I deal with that? Maybe keep the chicks and hens separate so the chicks get a good amount of food before letting them together?
I don't know how many feeders you put out but I'd put out extra(s) and spread them out. Doesn't have to be anything complicated, I use small pie pans, large ramekins, cat food bowls... for 10 birds currently I have 1 large feeder and 4 bowls.

Also it sound like you're putting out 2 types of feed. That's overcomplicating it. Everyone eats whatever the youngest birds in the flock eat. Most hens prefer chick feed so they'll happily accept it, just make sure there's a source of calcium on the side for any layers.

I don't know how many feeders you put out but I'd put out extra(s) and spread them out. Doesn't have to be anything complicated, I use small pie pans, large ramekins, cat food bowls... for 10 birds currently I have 1 large feeder and 4 bowls.

Also it sound like you're putting out 2 types of feed. That's overcomplicating it. Everyone eats whatever the youngest birds in the flock eat. Most hens prefer chick feed so they'll happily accept it, just make sure there's a source of calcium on the side for any layers.
Excellent! Thank you for the advice. The hens definitelyyyyyy preferred the chick feed; oyster shell and grit are always there for the taking.

having the chicks in the run parallel to the hen run for a month made a huge difference.
Totally agree. I think without this "look but no touch" period, to surprise them with new chickens creates more chaos.... Most often I have no issue at all and I can tell it's due to the fact that they were all already aware of each other. So glad it's working out for you!

Back
Top Bottom