Is my Buff Duck going to die?

GooseyMcGee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
San Diego
Same little guy from before... I guess it's unrelated to anything with feathers..

Anyway, early today he was walking with a limp. He was laying down a lot. We had to take him away from the other ducks and geese because he was getting stepped on. He wasn't happy about it. He freaked out and flipped around and got stuck in the cage. He finally calmed down though. I went to check on him a few hours later. He did eat, drank water and pooped so that seems to okay but now he can't walk at all.

I have seen a similar thing happen to an adult mallard. He didn't make it.

Should I have any hope?

Same little guy from before... I guess it's unrelated to anything with feathers..

Anyway, early today he was walking with a limp. He was laying down a lot. We had to take him away from the other ducks and geese because he was getting stepped on. He wasn't happy about it. He freaked out and flipped around and got stuck in the cage. He finally calmed down though. I went to check on him a few hours later. He did eat, drank water and pooped so that seems to okay but now he can't walk at all.

I have seen a similar thing happen to an adult mallard. He didn't make it.

Should I have any hope?
Have you been supplementing their food with niacin or Brewers yeast, if not you need to start asap and get some kind of poultry vitamins to give him the boost he needs right now, Lameness is usually a vitamin deff. lets hope thats it so it can be treated. Always have hope.

Have you been supplementing their food with niacin or Brewers yeast, if not you need to start asap and get some kind of poultry vitamins to give him the boost he needs right now, Lameness is usually a vitamin deff. lets hope thats it so it can be treated. Always have hope.
Ditto. Get him vitamins, especially niacin, right away. If you have a can of unsalted sardines, give him a teaspoon of mashed sardine until you can get the vitamins or brewer's yeast.

What are you feeding this duck and how old is it? Lameness in ducks can be caused by Niacin deficiencies in their diet and sometimes other ducks picking on a particular duck can be cause as well. I recommend a good duck grower, Here at the farm we use Purina Duck Grower it has been a great feed for us and we start our ducklings on it after 3 weeks old until about 5 months.

We are feeding them wild game bird crumble. The other two ducks and the two geese seem to not have any problems. They are 16 days old.

We are going to go to the feed store today. I haven't notice the others picking on him. Is a niacin definitely the problem? Is so is it reversible? What can I specifically ask for if they don't have duck grower.

Last edited:
We just got a bag of electrolyte and vitamin powder to add to his water. In addition to that we got some gran flower which is high in niacin. Let's hope it works.

Maybe a typo for bran?
I just hope it works..
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom