Is purina medicated feed okay for quails and chicks?

SwimingWithTheGeese

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2024
Hi all! I was wondering if this feed would be okay for quails and chicks? I know it’s a stretch but just curious, I’ve heard some bad stuff about purina medicated feed and I want some advice from more experienced people rather than the internet.
My friend got me the wrong feed and I’d hate for it to go to waste, and don’t worry I have proper feed for them and they haven’t had any of the medicated feed.
please don’t judge! It’s my first time with quails.
A picture of the food bag and the boogers in question! They’re about 2 and a half weeks old now :)

Attachments

• IMG_4118.jpeg
    IMG_4118.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3916.jpeg
    IMG_3916.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi all! I was wondering if this feed would be okay for quails and chicks? I know it’s a stretch but just curious, I’ve heard some bad stuff about purina medicated feed and I want some advice from more experienced people rather than the internet.
My friend got me the wrong feed and I’d hate for it to go to waste, and don’t worry I have proper feed for them and they haven’t had any of the medicated feed.
please don’t judge! It’s my first time with quails.
A picture of the food bag and the boogers in question! They’re about 2 and a half weeks old now :)
Quail require a higher protein feed than chicken chicks, can you get a Gamebird Starter for them? It's usually around 30% protein. You can usually find Purina Game bird starter at stores like TSC.

The medicated Chick Starter feed is fine to give the chicken chicks. IF that's all you have for a couple of days until you can get the GB Feed for the Quail, then feed the Quail the Medicated starter, the Amprolium (medication) in the feed won't hurt them.

You may find that you need to grind the feed up for the first few days.

I would brood the Quail chicks separately from the chicken chicks. While they are all "chicks" they do require a bit different feed/nutrition and care.

1722569980209.png

Quail require a higher protein feed than chicken chicks, can you get a Gamebird Starter for them? It's usually around 30% protein. You can usually find Purina Game bird starter at stores like TSC.

The medicated Chick Starter feed is fine to give the chicken chicks. IF that's all you have for a couple of days until you can get the GB Feed for the Quail, then feed the Quail the Medicated starter, the Amprolium (medication) in the feed won't hurt them.

You may find that you need to grind the feed up for the first few days.

I would brood the Quail chicks separately from the chicken chicks. While they are all "chicks" they do require a bit different feed/nutrition and care.

View attachment 3908137
Thank you!, I’ll definitely get that as soon as I can, and I don’t think I’d need to feed them that as I have so much feed from family it’s crazy! I have them on some grinded up all flock and chick starter right now and they all seem to be healthy and fast. I was thinking of brooding them separately but I had three late Hatchers and they don’t seem too keen on joining their siblings and their mom so I put them with the quails, they seem to be doing okay but I’ll probably separate them when the chicks get older. Thank you so much for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom