Is there a demand for chicken tractors?

User635240

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
I'm thinking of making a few Suscovitch style tractors and posting them for sale, in the $300-500 range. Does anyone have a feel for the demand for tractors these days?

There is a a guy selling them for $1200 on my Craigslist 4x6’. I personally would never pay $1200 for that ever especially when I can build it myself. I think your price range is much more reasonable for people which would attract more attention if you are making money that is.

Last edited:
Advertising locally would probably be best. In most instances, folks probably aren't going to travel more than 100-200 miles to pick one up.

Since a lot of new chicken owners don't know about chicken tractors, much less the Suscovich style, education on your part is good.

Build a good demo & set up a "booth" at your local farmer's markets. I know I live close enough to severalvto attend - in 4 different counties! 6-7 if I wanted to hit different pricing braces, but then I'd have to explore housing laws, so I wouldn't miss represent what the locals to each market can do. County fairs are starting - a good place to attend & advertise. Then State fairs start up!

You might even consider doing a slightly smaller version - in width & possibly length.

I possibly would, especially if other changes could be made (as seen in a YouTube video that I especially like). More than likely, the cost would be closer somewhere between the $500-1,200 range... I haven't looked at prices lately, pretty sure even the conduit bending tool has doubled in price since I purchased the original plans... It is a style I have been looking at...

I'm thinking of making a few Suscovitch style tractors and posting them for sale, in the $300-500 range. Does anyone have a feel for the demand for tractors these days?
Can you build one for $300 and make $$?

That's pretty cheap, at least for prices to build here. Cost to build according to his plans would be $375-400(+) here and that is shopping for best prices of materials (online and instore). I guess it depends on what kind of profit you want to make? How much is your time actually worth - you have to gather supplies, take the time to build, advertise, etc. etc.?

Can you build one for $300 and make $$?

That's pretty cheap, at least for prices to build here. Cost to build according to his plans would be $375-400(+) here and that is shopping for best prices of materials (online and instore). I guess it depends on what kind of profit you want to make? How much is your time actually worth - you have to gather supplies, take the time to build, advertise, etc. etc.?
Can one use pre-bent conduit elbows?
You're right it should retail for at least double the material costs. Amish craftsmen here sell Adirondack chairs made fr polywood for $700-800 each.

Can one use pre-bent conduit elbows?
You're right it should retail for at least double the material costs. Amish craftsmen here sell Adirondack chairs made fr polywood for $700-800 each.
You could use elbows, they may create a weak point, but you can try.
I asked the Hubs, he's an Electrical Contractor LOL

Remember elbows will add to the cost of your build, there's 5 pieces of conduit, so you'd need 5 90° elbows for the top and 10 45° elbows for the sides. Elbows can run you anywhere from $4-8 depending on what you choose. (those are prices for where I live)

I highly recommend you buy the book. It's got a lot of details and an extensive material list along with an explanation of why he chose the materials. I have the book, I have not built one yet, but it's a future project. Of course you can get a digital copy (Kindle?) a little cheaper, but I like having a paper copy with plans and be able to make notes/thoughts on pages, etc.

Maybe you can build one and use it, try it out and see how it works, tweak it if necessary. If you use one, are happy/satisfied, then you also have first hand experience to promote/sell the product if you decide to do that later on. You'll have photos too. Take pre-orders, get 1/2 up front or at least cost of materials, then build. Remainder is due upon pickup/delivery.
Most folks want delivery, can you do that? Do you have trailer where you can deliver the product?
Just some thoughts that come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom