Is there a way to stop aggressive behaviour?

mahampire

Chirping
Mar 3, 2021
Ok so Pipi is growing up she seems completely healthy now and STRONG!

She got the bad habit of Pecking VERY HARD. I wear glasses so she can't peck my eyes but once (when she was a baby chick she did peck my eye gladly it was little peck I'm not blind)
But now whenever she is near my face any way she pecks my lips or cheeks HARDLY! Like It's food she is trying to Break.

She is still 3 months so i was wondering if there is any way i could teach her early that It isn't not good to peck like that?
(Sometimes kids visit the house and you know they get crazy to pat her. I am scared what if she pecks them also i Don't wanna be blind)

I don't think so in the way that you mean. I think you mean can you teach her to peck gently like you might teach a dog to hold something in his mouth without biting down on it.

Chickens can learn but their social behavior is too much instinct for that to be possible very often, if ever. Even if it is possible to teach a chicken to peck softly on something, I don't think it would be applied to a different thing - like you in a different circumstance or like other people.

I spent hours a day with my chickens the first year and still they flipped instantly from acting like I was mom calling them to food to acting like I was a rooster seducing them. Also from acting like I was a bff to roost with to acting like I was a deadly predator. And back again just as fast.

I loved how intently they would "listen" - studying my face as I talked to them. But less so once I figured out they were really trying to decide if they could get away with eating me. Or at least my lips, eyes, hair, and any sort of spot on my skin or clothes. Anyway, I figured it out partly because of how and when they actually tried to eat me. And partly because I learned how readily chickens will eat their flock mates. Including eating them alive if they have injuries that trigger that instinct.

I do not know of any way to stop her from pecking at you or others. I do not know why she learned to do that to start with.

Is she were a cockerel there would be all kinds of cries to get rid of him as she is a danger to you and especially to kids. People tend to not do that with pullets, they want to keep them. I've never had your specific problem before but I've removed pullets and hens from my flock that have disrupted the peace of the flock, let alone proved to be a danger to people. I personally value people (especially kids) and their eyes above any chicken, male or female. I would not risk it.

I do not know of any way to stop her from pecking at you or others. I do not know why she learned to do that to start with.

Is she were a cockerel there would be all kinds of cries to get rid of him as she is a danger to you and especially to kids. People tend to not do that with pullets, they want to keep them. I've never had your specific problem before but I've removed pullets and hens from my flock that have disrupted the peace of the flock, let alone proved to be a danger to people. I personally value people (especially kids) and their eyes above any chicken, male or female. I would not risk it.
I have no idea what breed she is (right now) i thought she was a cornish cross cause the seller also had no idea about breed (but they usually sell cornish babies away cuz everyone hates them) but she turned out to have some brown feathers?

Anyways i guess i will just keep her away from my face and Don't let kids go near her. I Don't wanna get rid of her so yeah :")

And thanks!🤍

Last edited:
I spent hours a day with my chickens the first year and still they flipped instantly from acting like I was mom calling them to food to acting like I was a rooster seducing them. Also from acting like I was a bff to roost with to acting like I was a deadly predator. And back again just as fast.
She is not aggressive in general but if It's about food or ANY WHITE thing which she believes is food she is aggressive! Very aggressive.
It's white paper, white tissue, white clothes anything white is food to her including eyes and teeth :")
Idk why this obsession with white food. But I'll make sure to keep her away from face and KIDS..

Also i get it. I had a rooster long ago and he is completely like a PET! He knew his name and every different calls like dinner, cuddles, snacks, play etc. So i thought maybe all chickens can learn idk maybe they have different personalities..It's really cool though.

And Thanks!🤍

Back
Top Bottom