Is this a staph infection?

Aug 18, 2023
A few days ago, I noticed one of my girls had bumps on her udder. They’re mostly under the skin. We just had a hurricane so I thought she may have gotten into some ants or fleas when we put them in the barn.

I milk her twice a day. Her babies are four months old. At a quick glance, none of the other goats have this. I looked it up and believe staph is the likeliest outcome.
IMG_0090.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpeg
    IMG_0089.jpeg
    612.1 KB · Views: 3
It might be but you should be wearing gloves as staff is highly transmittable. You could have the tiniest of cuts somewhere you touch and that's how easy it is to get it.

It's been decades since we had anything with udders, and I vividly remember mastitis but not this, so I looked it up, and staff is what it sounds like to me too.

Are you a member of our sister site, Backyard Herds? There are probably a lot more folks there that could help you better than us googling it.

But that said, I read someone says to use chlorhexidine from TSC. Others say scrub it to break those open and apply neosporin. This is why I'd rather hear it from someone here or in the Backyard Herd forum.

Back
Top Bottom