Is this coccidiosis or something else?

Limey68

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2024
Hi everyone. I have 10 chickens, 4 EE that are 2 years old and 6 young pullets ranging from 5-7 months old and all but two of them are laying now.
This morning I let my girls out so they can free range in the yard and one of them pooped out what looks like a bloody, watery mess. Could this be coccidiosis or something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
1000009852.jpg
🙏

Maybe just watch the poop and see if anymore shows up from any of the other chickens before you treat!
Did they eat something different than normal?

@TwoCrows
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
Well, they free range most of the day so they pick at plants/bushes etc. None of them appear lethargic and they're all eating and drinking just fine.
The six pullets all ate medicated feed up until they started laying as well, but I didn't see which one pooped. It could've been one of my older hens. I'll definitely keep an eye on them today and see if I can figure out which one it is. Thanks!

Well, they free range most of the day so they pick at plants/bushes etc. None of them appear lethargic and they're all eating and drinking just fine.
The six pullets all ate medicated feed up until they started laying as well, but I didn't see which one pooped. It could've been one of my older hens. I'll definitely keep an eye on them today and see if I can figure out which one it is. Thanks!
Keep us updated!

Hi everyone. I have 10 chickens, 4 EE that are 2 years old and 6 young pullets ranging from 5-7 months old and all but two of them are laying now.
This morning I let my girls out so they can free range in the yard and one of them pooped out what looks like a bloody, watery mess. Could this be coccidiosis or something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What have they been eating? Any berries, tomatoes, beets, etc.?

If not, then I'd consider treating for Coccidiosis or at least look at vents to make sure no one is injured.

What have they been eating? Any berries, tomatoes, beets, etc.?

If not, then I'd consider treating for Coccidiosis or at least look at vents to make sure no one is injured.
They have recently eaten tomatoes, watermelon and today I caught them picking low hanging cherries from my tree. I trimmed the lower branches back and I also checked the vents of all my chickens except one (she is too fast for me to catch) Everything looked normal with no sign of injury. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on their poop, but I'm beginning to think it's food related. Fingers crossed! 🤞

They have recently eaten tomatoes, watermelon and today I caught them picking low hanging cherries from my tree. I trimmed the lower branches back and I also checked the vents of all my chickens except one (she is too fast for me to catch) Everything looked normal with no sign of injury. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on their poop, but I'm beginning to think it's food related. Fingers crossed! 🤞
Likely it's what they have been eating then. The cherries would be my guess.

Back
Top Bottom