Is this heat stroke?

Frizzlett98

Songster
10 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Southwest Virginia
Does this sound like it could be heat stroke or something else? I have a salmon faverolle I noticed was swaying while standing still, falling over backwards and to the sides, stumbling while walking, and tilting her head down and up in a strange manor. She seems very unbalanced but there are no other signs that something is wrong. She is always panting, however. She seems to be the chicken that runs the hottest out of all of mine. It has been miserable here in NE Tn for weeks. 90 degrees and high humidity almost every day for the past 2 weeks and continuing for another week or more. I have tried many methods of keeping them cool, mostly voluntary methods, such as giving them a kiddie pool to stand in, putting out frozen jugs of water to huddle around, offering frozen fruits/vegetables, but they don't like any of those methods. I was forced to mist them with cold water every few hours during the hottest part of the day, and of course, they hate it but it apparently has been working. Today was the first day in weeks at 90 degrees I didn't hose them and now we have a potential heat stroke victim. Anyway, back to her now, she is okay. She is alert, pecking around, her balance has improved some since taking her in the house. I'm unsure if she's drinking but we're offering electrolytes. She had a delicious eggy snack 😋. We took her back out for a few minutes to see her moving around and she was better, but after a little while she started staring into space and was standing in a balled up position. Any thoughts?

Photos of her and her poop?

Has she been having a hard time laying eggs when did she last lay?

Giving electrolytes is good, do provide fresh plain water too.

Deep shade is one of the best ways to keep your flock relatively happy in weather like this. If they don't have a lot of shade, put up shade cloth.
Go out early while it's cool to do your chickens chores, try not to get them stirred up during the hottest part of the day.
They hate being misted - what do they do when you mist them - avoid it? Run about?
Shade. Cool water. Fresh food.

Photos of her and her poop?

Has she been having a hard time laying eggs when did she last lay?

Giving electrolytes is good, do provide fresh plain water too.

Deep shade is one of the best ways to keep your flock relatively happy in weather like this. If they don't have a lot of shade, put up shade cloth.
Go out early while it's cool to do your chickens chores, try not to get them stirred up during the hottest part of the day.
They hate being misted - what do they do when you mist them - avoid it? Run about?
Shade. Cool water. Fresh food.
She laid an egg 2 mornings ago. I didn’t watch her so I don’t know how it went. I checked her for being egg bound and found nothing. Her poop is small and green. I stopped vitamins and started her on Corid in case of Cocci for that. Dewormed as well.

They have shade, cool water, fresh food. Chores are done in the morning or in the evening when it cools off. When I mist them, they stand there. Perfectly still. They’re vocal about it but they don’t run.

Back
Top Bottom