Keeping chickens sure is hard 😅

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
Nothing could have ever prepared me for the emotional toll taking care of even a small flock can have on you. I tend to struggle with anxiety over health related issues, so when my chickens inevitably go through patches of illness and troubles, I began to feel hopeless and scared to go and clean the coop every day, fearful that I would discover one of my chickens sick or even dead.

In 4 years I have experienced chickens with cancer, egg binding, respitory illness, bumblefoot, and crop impaction in several of my hens. And I only have 4 hens!!!

However I feel like when these health problems arise they equip my mind to deal with future, more serious issues and help reduce my anxiety each time. Although these problems cause me days of stress and some of my hen's health issues may never change, learning to tackle problems as they arise has helped me a lot.

So if you feel like you keep experiencing stressful illnesses back-to-back with your flock as a inexperienced chicken owner like me, dont give up :)

Nothing could have ever prepared me for the emotional toll taking care of even a small flock can have on you. I tend to struggle with anxiety over health related issues, so when my chickens inevitably go through patches of illness and troubles, I began to feel hopeless and scared to go and clean the coop every day, fearful that I would discover one of my chickens sick or even dead.

In 4 years I have experienced chickens with cancer, egg binding, respitory illness, bumblefoot, and crop impaction in several of my hens. And I only have 4 hens!!!

However I feel like when these health problems arise they equip my mind to deal with future, more serious issues and help reduce my anxiety each time. Although these problems cause me days of stress and some of my hen's health issues may never change, learning to tackle problems as they arise has helped me a lot.

So if you feel like you keep experiencing stressful illnesses back-to-back with your flock as a inexperienced chicken owner like me, dont give up :)
4 years of experience. That's not an inexperienced chicken keeper. :hugs

I'm always wondering what's going to be the next thing to deal with - usually I'm creating a new problem when I fix something that I thought needed fixed. 😆

The words of an old cigarette ad come to mind:

"You've come a long way, Baby!"
You've dealt with a lot so I agree with @Crazy Maizie you can no longer call yourself inexperienced! You're practically a seasoned veteran now! Well done.

Back
Top Bottom