Lash egg or soft shell?

Chickeemariee

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
One of my normally super consistent egg laying hens has slowed down her production recently. Shes otherwise acting like her normal sassy self. Today I found this thing half in half out of the nesting box. She’s laid funny eggs before and I know that just happens sometimes but I want to make sure this doesn’t appear to be a lash egg or some other problem. As always thank you for any and all help :)

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0298.jpeg
    IMG_0298.jpeg
    831.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0299.jpeg
    IMG_0299.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 5
I agree, doesn't look like lash material, more like part of an eggshell.

If you get something that appears more like a fleshy lump, that could be lash material. For a positive ID make sure to cut it open and photograph the interior as well.

I agree, doesn't look like lash material, more like part of an eggshell.

If you get something that appears more like a fleshy lump, that could be lash material. For a positive ID make sure to cut it open and photograph the interior as well.
Very good info will do should I come across something like that! Do you think this is just one of those weird chicken things?

Very good info will do should I come across something like that! Do you think this is just one of those weird chicken things?
Could be as simple as a glitch or possibly the egg broke inside her on the way out. I'd keep an eye on her activity level and behavior but if all that looks good then you shouldn't need to do anything.

I agree with @rosemarythyme . Absent any hen acting sick and lethargic, it's probably a thin-shell egg that broke as the hen was getting out of the nest, and opportunists picked all of the egg off the shell. That's sometimes what I see in a nest box after an old hen lays a thin shell egg. Sometimes the pine shavings in that nest are wet and slimy, providing more evidence that it was a broken egg and the chickens cleaned up most of it.

Back
Top Bottom