(Let Broody Hen Do It All) Experiances Please

Pics
I'm guessing she's inexperienced at this. They don't all take to it like ducks to water - as indeed not all other animal (including human) mums are cut out for it.
You are right. Both are first time mommas that went broody before 1yr old. Could have something to do with it. I wish Kisses would take them under her wing but she treats them like invaders. So gotta figure out today what the plan is.

Out of dozens of broodies I have had one mom "ween" as early as yours. She was a co parent of a second set and stayed a bit longer the second time, but no where near as attentive as the other mom.
As far as what the chicks did? They took advantage of others sitting on eggs (Silkies) and found whatever warm spot was allowed. I noticed they grew slower than most chicks even though they had access to the same feed as others. She had one boy and one pullet that batch which I still have. The pullet seems to be kind of a loner.
Not sure if they would have faired quite so well in my large foul coop.

Out of dozens of broodies I have had one mom "ween" as early as yours. She was a co parent of a second set and stayed a bit longer the second time, but no where near as attentive as the other mom.
As far as what the chicks did? They took advantage of others sitting on eggs (Silkies) and found whatever warm spot was allowed. I noticed they grew slower than most chicks even though they had access to the same feed as others. She had one boy and one pullet that batch which I still have. The pullet seems to be kind of a loner.
Not sure if they would have faired quite so well in my large foul coop.
Thank you for sharing. I'm taking some time to consider what we should do at this point. So much to consider. Keep them up here in a brooder for a week to get more feathers, move other momma and her chicks to the flock and put these in that brooder/run and trust they will huddle to keep warm or put them back with the flock and hope for the best. I'm thinking best option is move other hen and chicks to the flock and in a few days, give these chicks that space for their safety. Don't know why I seem to have trouble making a decision.

Back
Top Bottom