Lethargic hen with watery green poop

Alpen Way Chickens

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 3, 2017
One of my hens started not coming off the roost in the morning when I let them out of the hen house a couple of days ago. I physically took her down and then she was just laying in the run. I brought her in to separate her from the other hens and have been watching her the past few days. She will eat somewhat and I have observed her drinking water. I added some apple cider vinegar to her water. She just lays in the corner of the bathroom where I am keeping her, but otherwise doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort. She is molting a lot. Picture of her poop which is pretty consistent. Please advise, we do not have a vet in the immediate area that will look at a chicken.

Attachments

• PXL_20241027_203627194.jpg
    PXL_20241027_203627194.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20241028_183555823.MP.jpg
    PXL_20241028_183555823.MP.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20241028_183853198.jpg
    PXL_20241028_183853198.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 2
So sorry about your hen. How old is she? Does she lay eggs? If so, when was the last one?

That poop looks similar to poop from emaciated chickens that stop eating. It could also be a sign of something else too. Have you ever wormed her?

I would try some scrambled eggs to get her to eat something. They usually can't turn those down. Also, making a mash of her feed by adding water is enticing too.

So sorry about your hen. How old is she? Does she lay eggs? If so, when was the last one?

That poop looks similar to poop from emaciated chickens that stop eating. It could also be a sign of something else too. Have you ever wormed her?

I would try some scrambled eggs to get her to eat something. They usually can't turn those down. Also, making a mash of her feed by adding water is enticing too.
She is 2+ years old and was laying, but my flock is all molting right now so no one is laying. I haven't wormed them since they are pretty confined and we haven't introduced any new hens. I will try scramble eggs.

She is 2+ years old and was laying, but my flock is all molting right now so no one is laying. I haven't wormed them since they are pretty confined and we haven't introduced any new hens. I will try scramble eggs.
Just in case, check under her wings and rump for mites. I'm just wondering what's taking her down like this as that green poop is from her not eating, but then why isn't she eating is the question.

Back
Top Bottom