Lethargic, no other symptoms

kristinhennifer

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
I have an 8 week old pullet that any chance she gets she is closing her eyes.
Still eating and drinking but definitely acting a lot different than her normal.

Poop looks normal, checked for bugs.

Any ideas? Should I start corid as a preventative?

I had a broody hen who recently got sick like this. She was 1/2 broody and 1/2 normal, but she would close her eyes and go to sleep standing up constantly. Eventually she started sounding like she had a respiratory issue, but she got over it in a few days with no help (except being given electrolytes for more energy). I would wait until you see any other symptoms before doing anything. Is she breathing normally? Can you hear her breathing?

If it's not bugs keeping her up at night and she is eating and drinking, I'd just give her some poultry vitamins a couple times and monitor how it goes. Might be a phase or she might be missing some essentials. There is an issue with vitamin absorption the first 2-3 months in some pullets. That can present as fatigue, being listless and sleepy, head drooping and neck issues.

Is your pullet getting a balanced chick starter grower feed as the majority of her diet? Have you made sure that she is not being bullied or kept from food and water? If the answers are yes, I would consider treating with Corid for 5-7 days, and follow that with some poultry vitamins or human B complex tablets 1/4 tablet daily. Make sure to have more than one waterer and feeder in separate locations for the meeker birds.

If it's not bugs keeping her up at night and she is eating and drinking, I'd just give her some poultry vitamins a couple times and monitor how it goes. Might be a phase or she might be missing some essentials. There is an issue with vitamin absorption the first 2-3 months in some pullets. That can present as fatigue, being listless and sleepy, head drooping and neck issues.
Thank you I will addd to water

Back
Top Bottom