Lice treatment question

uisceros

Songster
Jun 2, 2022
Massachusetts, USA
Hi all,

I just noticed one of my roosters has a pretty heavy lice load (possibly mites too, it was hard to see but there were definitely tiny little bugs with the lice - immature lice maybe), and I want to treat him (and everyone else) ASAP. From what I can tell I have two options: permethrin and elector psp.

I really don't want to use permethrin, as I have cats and I don't want to risk bringing anything in that would hurt them, but I also want to get the birds treated ASAP and the elector psp would take awhile to get here.

Would the cats be affected by a possibly tiny amount permethrin? Would it be better to wait for the elector psp to arrive?

Is there any other effective treatment that does not involve spraying pesticides around? I'm all for chemical/medical treatments, but I also have a frog pond near my chickens and don't want to poison that. I use first saturday lime as my normal pest repellant, and try to avoid DE due to the possible respiratory issues.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I'd like to know also and what one can use if they cannot hold the chickens, well half of them, to apply the treatment. I've read that elector does not work for all...but I am new to this.

My Girls have lice,I think the rooster is giving it to them because he never dust bathes.We have done DE but they get it again.What am I doing wrong? We have 50 chicken's including chick's and pullet's. They sleep in a coop with a dirt floor that we clean. There are places all over the yard where they have done demolition and mad a new bathin sight. They are free rang and they run with our guines and the neighbors duck's.So this is all the information Ican think of. Is Elector PSP organic and is there an ege withdrawal ?Thank youso much for all your help and advice.

Permethrin will work for treating mites and lice. You must treat again in a week. It kills the mites/lice, but not their eggs. The eggs hatch, starting a new cycle of infestation.

You also need to treat the coop. Remove all the bedding and dispose of it in the garbage or burn it. Then spray down the coop well. All the nooks and crannies, every where. And then do that again in a week as well.

A third time a week later on both of these is a good idea too, to get the stragglers that hatched late.

Back
Top Bottom