Light brahma feather issues

Rew

Hatching
May 8, 2024
My light brahma is 17 weeks old.
She has always had big gaps in her wing feathers it seems, and her feet never grew many feathers.

I have another brahma that is a few weeks younger than her that has fully feathered feet and no wing issues.

does anyone know what's going on here? Is this just genetics? No other birds out of our 10 have any issues besides her.
20240610_070614.jpg
VideoCapture_20240619-124809.jpg
VideoCapture_20240619-124825.jpg
20240609_152754.jpg
20240609_134901.jpg

Last edited:
Were the chicks purchased, or hatched from your parent birds?
I will tell you straight up, that I am not an expert at genetics, and it often confuses me greatly, but there are genes that control feathered legs and depending on which genes they have it can impact how much feathering there is. Looking at genetics is often easier if you know what the parents look like, and even better if there are several generations known. You can search for articles on that, written by people who understand it far better than I. If these are hatchery birds, or purchased, genetics are unknown, and you have no way to know if there is a cross with something else that happened somewhere in the family tree, leaving some recessive genes in there that can sometimes rear their head.
For the wing feathers, that could have many possible causes. Often feather development can be affected by nutritional deficiencies, particularly some trace minerals. If you were seeing it in others I might consider switching feeds to see if over time it improved. Feather growth and development is pretty complicated. I will attach one article that scratches the surface:
https://www.poultryworld.net/specials/effects-of-nutrition-on-feathering/

I will tell you straight up, that I am not an expert at genetics, and it often confuses me greatly, but there are genes that control feathered legs and depending on which genes they have it can impact how much feathering there is. Looking at genetics is often easier if you know what the parents look like, and even better if there are several generations known. You can search for articles on that, written by people who understand it far better than I. If these are hatchery birds, or purchased, genetics are unknown, and you have no way to know if there is a cross with something else that happened somewhere in the family tree, leaving some recessive genes in there that can sometimes rear their head.
For the wing feathers, that could have many possible causes. Often feather development can be affected by nutritional deficiencies, particularly some trace minerals. If you were seeing it in others I might consider switching feeds to see if over time it improved. Feather growth and development is pretty complicated. I will attach one article that scratches the surface:
I purchased them from a feed store. And she's the only one with these issues. I'll look at the article thank you

https://www.poultryworld.net/specials/effects-of-nutrition-on-feathering/
I purchased them from a feed store. And she's the only one with the feathering issues. Thank you! I'll check out the article

Back
Top Bottom