Limping after dog attack

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
My dog went after one of my girls yesterday. It happened to quickly that I don't know exactly what happened but she was holding her down with one paw while my dog's face was on her back end.
After, my chicken continued looking for bugs. There was no blood, no cuts. But, she is limping. This was yesterday and she's still limping today.
Advice? Is there something I can do? Are there otc chicken pain meds?

I had a hen fly from her roost 9ft up, down to the ground when I opened the front door of the coop. She limped for the next day or so, but then went right back to normal after a little bit, so I assume yours would too if there is no obvious sign of injury.

Does she make any sound when you touch it? If she is fine with you handling it, that is a good sign.

You could crate her up for the day to make sure she spends less time walking on it, but just watching it closely is probably the enough right now. Post again if it ever looks any worse.

Can you see any green bruising, redness, swelling or breaks in the skin along the entire leg? Is she holding the leg up or putting weight on it? I would probably confine her to a pen or dog crate with food and water to limit her use of it for a few days.

I had a hen fly from her roost 9ft up, down to the ground when I opened the front door of the coop. She limped for the next day or so, but then went right back to normal after a little bit, so I assume yours would too if there is no obvious sign of injury.

Does she make any sound when you touch it? If she is fine with you handling it, that is a good sign.

You could crate her up for the day to make sure she spends less time walking on it, but just watching it closely is probably the enough right now. Post again if it ever looks any worse.
She didn't make any sound when I touched the area.

Can you see any green bruising, redness, swelling or breaks in the skin along the entire leg? Is she holding the leg up or putting weight on it? I would probably confine her to a pen or dog crate with food and water to limit her use of it for a few days.
I don't see any bruising, redness, swelling, or breaks.
Part of the time she's holding the leg up and part of the time she's clearly trying not to put weight on it but letting it down.

Do you have an enclosure you could put her in? We got a "retriever" kennel from TSC for not too much, and it is great for this purpose.

Continue to look for green skin bruusing, since it can locate the injury. If it is sprained it may take a couple of weeks to heal.
I will. Do you think it's ok for her to stay with her flock? It's only around 40 degrees F outside and I'm afraid to bring her inside with it being a huge temperature fluctuation. I have no garage or barn.

It would be good to limit her activity and no jumping up or down from a roost. Maybe try using plastic poultry fencing to create a space for her, or try to borrow a dog crate. But if you can put her on the roost in the afternoon, and get her off at daylight, that might work. You can only do what you can.

Mine have dealt surprisingly well with bigger temperature changes, so I don't think you need to worry about that. If you can keep the kennel in the coop, then she will still be seen by the flock, which is good, but all the ones that I have separated haven't had any problems going back. I would just do what is easiest for you.

Back
Top Bottom