Long-term hen recovery question

bwp

Hatching
Jun 7, 2024
A hen of mine is being treated for mild flystrike. The vet cleaned out the area completely and is prescribing her antibiotics for a while, but the hen still has an open wound below her vent. We're looking at getting it closed up, but the vet said we need to keep her in the garage for a while to make sure the wound stays clean. Any tips on how to do this? Typically we try to avoid this type of separation because of loneliness, struggles with reintegration, overall quality of life, etc.

Can you confine her to a wire dog crate with clean towels or puppy pads for bedding? That could be near the others at least during the day so she can be with the flock. But keep her away from flies. If you need to bring in a friend to be near her, that would be good, but just keep them apart physically, so the area does not get pecked. Permethrin spray can treat you coop for flies, and will last about a month. Let it dry for an hour before letting chickens back in.

I agree with the vet to leave the wound open. Have any more maggots hatched out? Normally I would recommend soaking her lower vent area several times to drown any hatching maggots, and to help heal the wound. Are you using a wound spray or antibiotic ointment on the wound? Pictures posted here of the wound would be good.

Can you confine her to a wire dog crate with clean towels or puppy pads for bedding? That could be near the others at least during the day so she can be with the flock. But keep her away from flies. If you need to bring in a friend to be near her, that would be good, but just keep them apart physically, so the area does not get pecked. Permethrin spray can treat you coop for flies, and will last about a month. Let it dry for an hour before letting chickens back in.

I agree with the vet to leave the wound open. Have any more maggots hatched out? Normally I would recommend soaking her lower vent area several times to drown any hatching maggots, and to help heal the wound. Are you using a wound spray or antibiotic ointment on the wound? Pictures posted here of the wound would be good.
Thanks for the tips. The wound is open right now but they're recommending places that will suture it up. Do you think that's a good idea?

They cleaned out her wound completely, flushed it with maggot-killing stuff and then gave her some oral anti-maggot medications as well. She's on antimicrobial tablets for about a week.

Back
Top Bottom