Losing My Girls, not in a tragic way

So to start this thread, I am a 71 year old softheart who just finished bawling his eyes out. No one died or was injured, and people who don't have chickens probably wouldn't understand. I lost my two girls tonight. I've been trying to figure out how to make it happen, but didn't really want it to.
Some of you may have seen my post about Shenendoah and Annalee. They are "sisters" I've been raising since April. They both have been going out with the other four birds every morning for quite some time, but coming in the house to sleep, since Shenny needed extra care, attention and food. They have become my flock mates, sleeping on top of the refrigerator. When they go up for the night, I stand on a stool and Annalee will preen my beard bury her head in my hair, and chatter up a storm. They are the bottom of the pecking order, so were quite terrified of going in the coop if any of the other birds were in there. I struggled with how to introduce them to sleeping outside, but knew I had to, or they would not properly adapt to the cold. A few nights, I brought them in when only one bird was in there, and when the others started coming in, Annalee would freak out and burrow her head under my arm.
Tonight, I was going to my girlfriend's parents for dinner, so I got all of the birds into the geodome run, and gave them some mealy worms and blueberries. It was a little after 8 when we got back. I knew the big girls would be in the coop, but thought the "littles" would be on one of the roosts in the dome. Well they weren't. When I opened the coop door Shenendoah and Annalee were in there with the other birds, but weren't together, which worried me because they are inseparable. I have no idea how it all went. They are both such lovable sweethearts that I hate the thought of them being hassled, trying to find a place to sleep. So tonight I felt like I was losing my babies, and just cried.
I will be sure to be up as usual before they are to have the hatch to the dome open, and see how it goes. I know they have to grow up, but it was such a joy to have them inside, doing a night time routine, and helping with morning chores getting the food ready, anxious for me to open the door so we could start the day together. Tonight they were with the others for the nightly singing of the Beatles song Golden Slumbers, although my voice cracked a lot with the tears in my eyes.
Golden slumber fill your eyes. Smiles await you when you rise. Sleep pretty darlings do not cry...and I will sing a lullabye." words by Lennon /McCartney
And there were two more names added to the nightly ritual:
Goodnight Sweet Sue, goodnight Mazie, Goodnight Braveheart, Goodnight Amelia, Goodnight Annalee, and goodinght Shenendoah. Sleep Good, have Good Chicken Dreams, and I will see you all in the morning. I love you girls.

That was so beautifully written 😍 I have been raising chickens for almost 3 years and I still cry when it's time for the babies to go out into the "big girl" coop. I am currently having a hard time letting go of my one and only silkie she is so much smaller then the rest of the flock. But I know it's about her time to sleep with the big girls

Back
Top Bottom