Lost two baby chicks

ANB0917

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2024
Our hens are brooding successfully for the first time. We had a successful hatch 7/23/24. The baby seemed healthy. We put it back with mom. However last night it was dead and we found another dead one under our hen with an injured eye. Right now, 7/26 at 10:25 pm, we have one pipping. I’m just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what happened to the first chick that was fine yesterday morning. I know it happens but the kids and I are just devastated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 30
Is momma smothering them?
She’s never been very broody before so with the black one that was under her it’s possible. However the brown and black one was found just a few inches in front of her. She’s not exactly keeping her nest area clean either and I’m not sure if that could have caused the brown one to go.

She’s never been very broody before so with the black one that was under her it’s possible. However the brown and black one was found just a few inches in front of her. She’s not exactly keeping her nest area clean either and I’m not sure if that could have caused the brown one to go.
Was the brown one pecked on the eye?

The hen kicked out a pipping chick Saturday night. It was dead by the time I saw it. I did just find another baby and I know I probably shouldn’t have, but I took the baby and put it in a clean space with a heat lamp, fresh water and food. I can’t handle another loss. If anyone has any suggestions on what else I can do to keep this baby alive please let me know. I’m on the verge of tears because I truly want this baby to live.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom