Lump on chicken

Kwbwbra2023

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2023
Any ideas as to what might this lump might be? She has had it for a few months now, no sign of access, has not charged or slowed her down. No sign of any injury. She's about 6 months old.

Attachments

• 20240922_175347.jpg
    20240922_175347.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240922_175310.jpg
    20240922_175310.jpg
    820.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240922_175250.jpg
    20240922_175250.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 2
Is it her back right side? Is it hard or puffy like air under the skin? If it is hard, look closely at the skin for any damage or tumors. A hard area may be a skeletal (spinal) deformity called spondylopathy or kinky back.

Is it her back right side? Is it hard or puffy like air under the skin? If it is hard, look closely at the skin for any damage or tumors. A hard area may be a skeletal (spinal) deformity called spondylopathy or kinky back.
Ya it's kind of hard. I was thinking maybe she broke something but she never showed signs of Injury. If it's kinky back do you think it would have an affect on her egg laying?

She may live a normal life, but some do develop a narrowing of the spinal column, and can end up lame. I would leave her alone, and see how she gets along. Many chickens suffer birth defects, and can life a normal life. This one is more common in meat birds. I would not use her for breeding however, but she could lay some nice eggs. Here is some reading about it:
https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/pubs_ext_vt_edu/en/APSC/apsc-189/apsc-189.html

She may live a normal life, but some do develop a narrowing of the spinal column, and can end up lame. I would leave her alone, and see how she gets along. Many chickens suffer birth defects, and can life a normal life. This one is more common in meat birds. I would not use her for breeding however, but she could lay some nice eggs. Here is some reading about it:
https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/pubs_ext_vt_edu/en/APSC/apsc-189/apsc-189.html
Thank you! She's a normal chicken just looks different. And I'm ok with that. Thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom