Male or female 9 week old mallard? Video of quacking. Also, is 9 weeks too young for our duck to be on the lake?

Lin97588

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2024
Trying to figure out if we have a male or female duckling. It still peeps but occasionally we get this type of quack. From what I read, it seems like males make quacks before they turn whispery. Is that true? We thought we had a drake.

Also, is 9 weeks too young to be out on the lake? We have done 2 supervised flights so far. Duck really loves the lake. We have a female who is 7 weeks and unable to fly yes, but hoping she will join soon.

IMG_0681.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 3
Looks and almost sounds female, but I’m actually not certain on voice. I’d expect a girl to have a full, loud quack by now. A longer video would help. If male, you will also see some color change very, very soon.

9 weeks is old enough to be out on the lake, yes.

Looks and almost sounds female, but I’m actually not certain on voice. I’d expect a girl to have a full, loud quack by now. A longer video would help. If male, you will also see some color change very, very soon.

9 weeks is old enough to be out on the lake, yes.
Thanks for the reply! This duck loves the lake and we were able to herd it back to its enclosure. I’m just afraid everytime I let it out, it will fly to the lake and it’s still so small when it’s wet lol. Lots of other lake birds like geese, swans and herons. Several turkey vultures, too. We did see a possible otter in the water heading towards it last time and we got in our boat to deter it. My mama heart was pounding lol.

Back
Top Bottom