Mite infestation (starting new post)

Newbiechickchic

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 14, 2017
I added this comment to another thread but it isn't showing up anywhere in the updated lists of comments....and I don't want it missed for input...

We've just discovered a bad infestation in our flock also. 8yrs of hens and never seen anything like this... we go into the barn or near their coop and our clothes get mites on them. We've been getting bit inside the house for the past two weeks and couldn't figure out what was causing it. They're coming in on us and living on us, it seems! I inspect the hens and don't see mites, but I need to be more thorough. I've got the cattle ivermectin liquid to use today, and will order Elector. The hens are in a huge dirt-floor part of the barn, so treating the barn will be difficult. Barn swallow's always nest under the overhang, and this year of swallow babies died. That was the first sign of mites, on the babies. Not sure what type of mite, but they are on us even during the day biting us under our clothes! We have dog's and cat's also! Do we need to treat our house?? Is a lime wash helpful?

I added this comment to another thread but it isn't showing up anywhere in the updated lists of comments....and I don't want it missed for input...

We've just discovered a bad infestation in our flock also. 8yrs of hens and never seen anything like this... we go into the barn or near their coop and our clothes get mites on them. We've been getting bit inside the house for the past two weeks and couldn't figure out what was causing it. They're coming in on us and living on us, it seems! I inspect the hens and don't see mites, but I need to be more thorough. I've got the cattle ivermectin liquid to use today, and will order Elector. The hens are in a huge dirt-floor part of the barn, so treating the barn will be difficult. Barn swallow's always nest under the overhang, and this year of swallow babies died. That was the first sign of mites, on the babies. Not sure what type of mite, but they are on us even during the day biting us under our clothes! We have dog's and cat's also! Do we need to treat our house?? Is a lime wash helpful?
I've not heard of the mites our chickens get affecting humans but regardless, Permethrin garden powder you could use anywhere and on anything.

If your ivermectin is the pour on, we put a couple of drops on the necks of our chickens (at night in the coop) for scaley leg mites, then repeated in 10 days. That's said to kill other mites too, but it's taking care of the chickens, not the premises.

You could sprinkle that Permethrin everywhere the chickens go. If you have cats, just keep them away from it for a day.

I'll address the "mites in the house" issue - for ones in the barn, I'd suggest looking into elemental sulfur but it's not a quick acting solution, more of a long term maintenance plan.

If mite bites on you are an issue, or mites are getting into the house:

While treating the chickens I suggest keeping a dedicated set of chicken-only clothes, gloves, boots, etc. either in garage or shed, somewhere out of the house, and only use those around the chickens until treatment is done. Before going back into the house, check arms and legs carefully for any mites.

I also got some permethrin spray for use in the house, and sprayed all our muck boots, as well as hubby's office chair and the sofa.

Launder everything you've worn recently in hot water + hot dry. Launder your sheets as well. Even things like pillows... let them tumble in the dryer on high for at least 30 min. I even threw jackets in the dryer. If you happen to have rubbing alcohol, my pest guy suggested spraying the mattress as well. Rubbing alcohol has been further confirmed to work by other folks on BYC.

Continue vacuuming daily for a couple of days and make sure to empty out the vacuum/remove bags when done.

I know it seems like overkill but if you can get it under control with the chickens, the ones in the house should get eliminated/under control in the same time frame as long as you don't drag more in. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom