Mites or molting?!

Missmackworth

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2023
Hello all šŸ‘‹
We have 10 laying hens all a variety of ages from 23 weeks to 2 years. Iā€™ve noticed this past season that a handful of them have lost feathers, the bearded EE lost her beard, our lavender OP was giant and now is super small due to significant feather loss and our Brahma is also losing significant feathers. The coop is covered in feathers and when I investigate their bodies there arenā€™t any signs of mites. I donā€™t see any build up at the base of feathers, no bites or mites. Nothing crawling on them.. I do see new feathers growing back in though.

I was fairly certain it was molting, but Iā€™ve noticed the brahmas leg scales look mildly raised. No other birds leg scales are raised, just hers. . In all fairness theyā€™ve always kinda been like that though?

How does one KNOW the difference between mites vs molting..

I was fairly certain it was molting, but Iā€™ve noticed the brahmas leg scales look mildly raised. No other birds leg scales are raised, just hers. . In all fairness theyā€™ve always kinda been like that though?

How does one KNOW the difference between mites vs molting.
With the new feather growth it sounds like molting is a good possibility.. Some scales are raised like around the ankles where it bends. Some older birds will have some old scales being loose with fresh ones underneath.. but scaly leg mites will not be seen, only their evidence. Which is raised scales usually with some yellow crusty gunk built up under the scale.

Depluming mites are uncommon and will also not be visible to the naked eye as they live inside the feather shaft.

Additionally.. (red) roost mites do not live on the birds but only come out to feed on them (at night). The common suggestion to check for these (aside from skin condition) is to go out several hours after dark and run a white paper towel under the roost, checking for any blood spots/smears on the paper towel.

It's been all too common (in my flock) for bearded birds to lose their beards due to grooming by flockmates. Very often in this example.. broken or missing feathers may not grow back in until they actually do reach their next molt.

Back
Top Bottom