Muscovys Wandering

hallnoaks

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2022
I raised 8 muscovy ducklings from ducks I already have. I also bought 6 Tractor Supply ducklings and raised those too about a month or two apart from Muscovys.

The Tractor Supply ducks, mainly Mallards stay on my 1/2 acre pond that sits in about 10 acres with the pond being a couple 100 yards away from the house. My ducks have always free ranged.

The Mallards stayed but after about 3 weeks the new Muscovys walked, not flew, about 600 yards or more to my neighbors pond. I'm so upset since I spent a lot of money raising them and time.

Is there something about Muscovys that makes them want to wander like that versus the Mallards that seem happy staying close to the 1/2 acre pond?

Muscovy are originally from south America. Swimming in the water isn't always safe, so the tend to mostly take baths and than get out of the water. They won't spend the day swimming like mallard based breeds will.

In my experiences owning them they like the walk and forage. Do they have a shed? They also prefer to roost at night. Generally if they are happy they don't wander too far. Are they coming home or staying at the neighbors?

Muscovy are originally from south America. Swimming in the water isn't always safe, so the tend to mostly take baths and than get out of the water. They won't spend the day swimming like mallard based breeds will.

In my experiences owning them they like the walk and forage. Do they have a shed? They also prefer to roost at night. Generally if they are happy they don't wander too far. Are they coming home or staying at the neighbors?
Once they start going over to his place they generally don't come back but sometimes they'll come visit me for a while but then go back eventually. I've had others I bought that have done the same thing. I thought since I raised these here they'd stay. So much for figuring out what ducks think :-/

I've worried about building a shed for them because of predators but my neighbor does have a shed they can go in. Two had eggs in his shed once and they were eaten along with their eggs.

Guess my neighbor just has the duck MOJO going on.

I've worried about building a shed for them because of predators but my neighbor does have a shed they can go in. Two had eggs in his shed once and they were eaten along with their eggs.

Guess my neighbor just has the duck MOJO going on.
Muscovy need a shed or shelter. They generally will not lay eggs unless there's some sort of roof over their heads. They also require roosts, preferably under cover. He must have a set up they need, and prefer. They are behaviorally different from mallard based ducks.

Muscovy need a shed or shelter. They generally will not lay eggs unless there's some sort of roof over their heads. They also require roosts, preferably under cover. He must have a set up they need, and prefer. They are behaviorally different from mallard based ducks.
Since the Mallards are staying thinking about just switching to Mallards. The Muscovy that hatched eggs used my chicken coop with an automatic door.

My problem is a shed near the pond would be a death sentence to ducks since I have predators to deal with. The only way a shed would work is if I made one with an auto door that closes at night like my coop.

Since the Mallards are staying thinking about just switching to Mallards. The Muscovy that hatched eggs used my chicken coop with an automatic door.

My problem is a shed near the pond would be a death sentence to ducks since I have predators to deal with. The only way a shed would work is if I made one with an auto door that closes at night like my coop.
The shed or coop would need to be a fairly big size as muscovy prefer to roost as high as possible. Some of mine will go up in the shed rafters which are probably at least 20 feet up. They are good for people who don't have a big pond, or want to provide a lot of swimming water. Sounds like mallard based breeds are a better fit for you.

The shed or coop would need to be a fairly big size as muscovy prefer to roost as high as possible. Some of mine will go up in the shed rafters which are probably at least 20 feet up. They are good for people who don't have a big pond, or want to provide a lot of swimming water. Sounds like mallard based breeds are a better fit for you.
I agree on the Mallards. Thanks for taking the time to share info.

Back
Top Bottom