My chicken has a bald bottom

jedigurl

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2024
MA
My chicken has a bald patch on her bottom. I can’t tell if she pulled out the feathers or if her abdomen is swollen, or both. She is 5 months old and 2 of my three chickens just started laying(I’m not sure if she is one of them). Here is a pic, her vent is just above my top finger.

Attachments

• 20240912_182219.jpeg
    20240912_182219.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 33
Looks like she's getting feathers plucked back there - that blueish gray looks like bruising around the base of the feathers to me. That can happen particularly when a pin/blood feather is plucked. Check carefully for mites/lice; chikens will self-pluck irritted areas sometimes. If you see no signs of bugs back there then I'd think it's more likely another bird is plucking her. I just see bruising and otherwise see a healthy color and am not seeing any obvious swelling other than at feather pluck sites.

This article has some info on what to look for as far as mites/lice: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-fleas-dealing-with-external-parasites.74599/

I checked all over for mites or anything that did not look right. I checked another chicken and she also had a smaller balding spot. I watched the chickens for a few hours and saw the third one pluck out a feather, so at least now I know what is going on.

I sprayed both girls with blu-kote because there were some bloody spots. The third was still snacking on feathers. They are eating 18% protein all-flock. The layer feed I bought to give them next is 16% protein. I also give them a tablespoon of mealworms and sunflower seeds almost every day as a treat.

Could it still be a protein problem? Boredom? The culprit is in chicken jail (cage inside the run) with her own food and water for now.

Have you checked the perches ? See if there are anything hiding (check at night too).
How much space is there in the coop ? I like to allow 1ft of perching space per medium sized hen.
Feather eating is often a sign of a lack of protein.
I’d up the protein in the food. I wouldn’t buy anything less than 18%
Just a couple of ideas from me,
Hugz

If you have a singular feather plucker, offer that bird an extra source of protein while isolated, like some canned tuna (in smallish amounts - that stuff is salty). The whole flock may also need some protein supplement for a while with molting season approaching. A number of birds in my flock are already starting their molts this year. If yours aren't yet they may be soon, and that creates an increased need for protein.

If you have a singular feather plucker, offer that bird an extra source of protein while isolated, like some canned tuna (in smallish amounts - that stuff is salty). The whole flock may also need some protein supplement for a while with molting season approaching. A number of birds in my flock are already starting their molts this year. If yours aren't yet they may be soon, and that creates an increased need for protein.
I rince my tuna in tap water. It gets rid of a lot of the salt and I haven’t heard any complaints yet.

Some use 20% flock raiser or all flock feed to increase protein, but crushed oyster shell should be provided in a separate container for calcium and hard egg shells. You also may find some higher protein meat bird feed which could be added to what you are feeding now. In extreme cases of feather picking, it can lead to vent pecking and cannibalism. Pinless peepers can be applied to the bully which would affect her aim.

Back
Top Bottom