my chicken was limping and now cant walk at all!

Oct 24, 2022
IMG_1343.jpeg
i’ve had this chicken for about 5 years. recently she started limping and now she can’t walk at all! i’ so scared because i had a chicken that had the same symptoms and died the next day! i don’t know what to do because i have a holiday the next day! I’m not sure if mabye they drank the dirty water. Thankfully her comb is very bright red which is a good sign

I had a little hen just like her who lived to be 11. Is there any issue with scaly leg mites or bumblefoot scabs on her footpads? Does she have any green bruising, redness, or swelling on either leg? Pictures of her legs and feet may help. Have you added any new birds to the flock recently who might have been exposed to Mareks disease? You may want to make her a chicken sling chair to make it easier to reach her food and water. I would offer her 1/4 to 1/2 tablet of human vitamin B complex which has riboflavin and all B vitamins. That can help if it is a vitamin deficiency. Here are some good examples in post 5, 11-14 of this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I had a little hen just like her who lived to be 11. Is there any issue with scaly leg mites or bumblefoot scabs on her footpads? Does she have any green bruising, redness, or swelling on either leg? Pictures of her legs and feet may help. Have you added any new birds to the flock recently who might have been exposed to Mareks disease? You may want to make her a chicken sling chair to make it easier to reach her food and water. I would offer her 1/4 to 1/2 tablet of human vitamin B complex which has riboflavin and all B vitamins. That can help if it is a vitamin deficiency. Here are some good examples in post 5, 11-14 of this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

thank you! Her feet look fine like they usually do i always inspected their feet previously looks the same. How eould i give her the vitamin d? i only have the liquid tablets. I did buy a new silkie about 3 months ago but shes fine and i’ve had her for a while now. What really fears me is waking up in the morning to hear shes passed like my other hen when she had the exact same issue. Expect my other hen had a very pale comb and blood in her stool and this one doesn’t seem to have those symptoms

It is vitamin B complex, not D, and is available at Walmart or other pharmacies around $9 in some brands. It helps with leg issues and other problems. Blood in the droppings of the hen that died could possibly have been coccidiosis or worms. Arthritis, injury, or a chronic illness/infection can cause lameness, but Mareks which usually strikes young chickens, is a possibility. If you added a new chicken to the flock, and she had been exposed to Mareks, it is possible for an older hen to show symptoms. What state are you in? If you ever lose a chicken, be sure to ask your state vet about getting a necropsy. That is the best way to know the cause of death. Here is a list of state vets if you are in the US:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.htmlIn

It is vitamin B complex, not D, and is available at Walmart or other pharmacies around $9 in some brands. It helps with leg issues and other problems. Blood in the droppings of the hen that died could possibly have been coccidiosis or worms. Arthritis, injury, or a chronic illness/infection can cause lameness, but Mareks which usually strikes young chickens, is a possibility. If you added a new chicken to the flock, and she had been exposed to Mareks, it is possible for an older hen to show symptoms. What state are you in? If you ever lose a chicken, be sure to ask your state vet about getting a necropsy. That is the best way to know the cause of death. Here is a list of state vets if you are in the US:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.htmlIn
i live in sydney Australia. i’ll try and look for the vitamin b complex, thank you. I’ll update on how she is tomorrow morning. I’m pretty sure i have some coccidiosis medicine. For now tonight i left her activated charcoal water next to her incase it may be poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom