My Rooster has slightly red legs and neck. Not sure what is doing on.

Manhattan

Chirping
Aug 15, 2024
I have noticed my 7-month-old Light Brahama rooster's legs are becoming a little red and I am closely watching this. No bleeding His neck feathers were being pulled out by the chickens a few weeks ago (I think it was the chickens but didn't actually see them pull out the feathers, just saw them pecking his neck), so I treated him for mites with a mite spray and diatomaceous earth in his dust bath and now his feathers are growing back and the chickens are leaving him alone, however his neck is still red. Could be slightly sunburn due to the feathers gone? could be mites? could be high blood flow due to getting new feathers? The chickens are fine with no issues.

He is pretty docile. He is a large rooster. He shakes his head sometimes and I think it might be due to his feathers coming in on his neck. The coop is layered with sand and the outside run is a natural yard with pine shavings on top, which I clean out regularly - every two weeks or so.

If anyone has any ideas or advice as to what is going on, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 9
Since you treated him for mites and he seems to be growing his feathers back, I'd up all of their protein a bit as that will help him grow his feathers and if indeed the hens were pecking him, lack of protein can be a cause of that. You could try some all-flock 20% protein for a while. You'd just have to supplement the hens with oyster shell as that is lower in calcium.

Otherwise, no hens show any issues with their feathers at all?

Since you treated him for mites and he seems to be growing his feathers back, I'd up all of their protein a bit as that will help him grow his feathers and if indeed the hens were pecking him, lack of protein can be a cause of that. You could try some all-flock 20% protein for a while. You'd just have to supplement the hens with oyster shell as that is lower in calcium.

Otherwise, no hens show any issues with their feathers at all?
No my hens have no feather issues. I will try this. Thank you!!!

All-flock is better for any flock that has non-layers anyway. So any bird that is too old or too young to lay, or is molting, or if you have male birds - none of these need a layer formula, which has extra calcium in it. Many of us feel that extra calcium is hard on their kidneys and may lead to early death (others disagree). If you provide a dish of crushed oyster shell, layers will help themselves to what they need, all others will ignore it.

My hens are all laying now. Are you saying that I should switch to all flock and offer oyster shells in a separate feeder? Thanks!

My hens are all laying now. Are you saying that I should switch to all flock and offer oyster shells in a separate feeder? Thanks!
It's really up to you. I do, because I have a rooster. Also, some of mine are starting to molt, plus I'm only getting 8 to 10 eggs out of 20 hens, so ....

I suggested that for a couple of reasons...it's higher protein which benefits chickens especially feather growth. It has lower calcium, so hens can eat the all flock, but need the oyster shell to replace the calcium. It's usually a tish cheaper than layer, and it can be fed to all age chickens. We buy Kalmbach's Flock Maker and every chicken gets that, from baby chicks all the way up to the old hens.

It's really up to you. I do, because I have a rooster. Also, some of mine are starting to molt, plus I'm only getting 8 to 10 eggs out of 20 hens, so ....
Makes total sense! Thanks again!
I suggested that for a couple of reasons...it's higher protein which benefits chickens especially feather growth. It has lower calcium, so hens can eat the all flock, but need the oyster shell to replace the calcium. It's usually a tish cheaper than layer, and it can be fed to all age chickens. We buy Kalmbach's Flock Maker and every chicken gets that, from baby chicks all the way up to the old hens.
You have been very helpful. Thank you!

I bought my chickens flock and have set up their oyster shell in a separate feeder. Thank you, again, for your advise.

Back
Top Bottom