Mycoplasmosis??

Seraphhina

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2024
So I bought this 5 month old Silkie from a breeder and when I brought her home I gave her an immediate warm epson salt bath to throughly check for problems.
She had a huge infestation of mites on her head, which I scrubbed out with a homemade essential oil wash and blow dried her. I put coconut oil on her head to help heal her.
She also wasn’t eating or drinking when I first got her, and she seemed really weak with sunken wings. Her droppings were filled with mucous and blood, so I treated her for coccidiosis.
(4 days passed)
She’s eating, drinking, and moving around a lot more. There’s a persistent sneezing and wheezing noise from her. She sounds almost gargly, this has been going on since day one.
After her second epson salt bath on day 5, I noticed her infected eye has bubbles?? The only thing I can think of is mycoplasmosis. Does anyone have experience with this? She’s so sweet and I’d hate to lose her.
IMG_7071.png

Attachments

• IMG_7070.png
    IMG_7070.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Not a silkie. Give it back to the "breeder".
Be very careful with essential oils around birds, most are toxic to birds and caustic if undiluted.
It is a silkie. Her fluff on her head is trimmed and has oil on it as I stated before, I’m aware what I’m doing with the oils too which are safe for her.
I’m asking with all of these health signs if this looks like a case of mycoplasmosis due to the bubbles in her eye

So I bought this 5 month old Silkie from a breeder and when I brought her home I gave her an immediate warm epson salt bath to throughly check for problems.
She had a huge infestation of mites on her head, which I scrubbed out with a homemade essential oil wash and blow dried her. I put coconut oil on her head to help heal her.
She also wasn’t eating or drinking when I first got her, and she seemed really weak with sunken wings. Her droppings were filled with mucous and blood, so I treated her for coccidiosis.
(4 days passed)
She’s eating, drinking, and moving around a lot more. There’s a persistent sneezing and wheezing noise from her. She sounds almost gargly, this has been going on since day one.
After her second epson salt bath on day 5, I noticed her infected eye has bubbles?? The only thing I can think of is mycoplasmosis. Does anyone have experience with this? She’s so sweet and I’d hate to lose her.View attachment 3891382
Welcome To BYC

Try flushing her eye with saline, remove the pus and bubbles, then put an ointment like Terramycin eye ointment into the eye. Do this at least once a day. 2X if possible.

It does look like she has a tiny piece of pus or material in the eye, try to work on getting that out, it may take a few days.

An antibiotic like Tylosin can help treat symptoms of Mycoplasma. Bird do remain carriers for life if this is the disease you are dealing with, so it's something to consider when thinking about introducing her to other birds that you may have.

It is a silkie. Her fluff on her head is trimmed and has oil on it as I stated before, I’m aware what I’m doing with the oils too which are safe for her.
I’m asking with all of these health signs if this looks like a case of mycoplasmosis due to the bubbles in her eye
Alright, just making sure, most people don't actually know what their doing with oils, they just read blogs and poison their pets, I've seen it before a few times.
Very likely mycoplasma, yes, there's no cure and she'll spread it to your flock.
You can cure the symptoms with antibiotics but she'll always be a carrier.
Silkies are melanistic (black skin and flesh), she's not. She likely a Sultan or polish mix.

I would take her back and disinfect my shoes, so you don’t bring anything home. You can spread her disease to healthy chickens on hair, clothing, equipment and shoes. This seller person should not sell birds, and to sell you a pullet claiming it is a silkie, a sick bird with a respiratory disease, and also infested with mites. They should be reported. Mycoplasma, as most respiratory diseases is for life, and she will always be a carrier, as will any poultry she is with. Her symptoms may be treated with Tylosin or Denagard, and she may get better. Mites are hard to get rid of once they are in your coop. They can cause anemia and even death if severe.

Back
Top Bottom