Need expert advice on coop safety

jedigurl

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2024
MA
I am new to chickens. My pullets are 20 weeks old. They have been in their coop since 8 weeks. They all three seem to have beak injuries and I can’t figure out why.
Here are pictures of each bird and of the coop setup. Two of them were bleeding today, the yellow one broke the tip of her beak two days ago, and cut the back of her comb but the scrape on top of her beak just happened. I want to do better and help my babies.

Attachments

• IMG_3767.jpeg
    IMG_3767.jpeg
    923.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3756.jpeg
    IMG_3756.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3760.jpeg
    IMG_3760.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3765.jpeg
    IMG_3765.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3764.jpeg
    IMG_3764.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3766.jpeg
    IMG_3766.jpeg
    491.9 KB · Views: 12
Hmm, do you think they might be trying to stick their beaks out the small squares to munch on the vegetation outside the run? Is their waterer too high and maybe they’re jumping and smashing their beaks into it trying to get a drink? Or are their beaks getting caught on the little ball dribbly thing of their waterer? Anything sharp in their feeder they might bang their beaks into or get them caught on?

As for the combs, check the inside lip of that part of the feeder that they stick their heads into. Is there anything sharp on the edge that they might be scraping their combs against? Same with all those other containers they stick their heads in, give the inside edges a feel.

That one feeder in the corner may be the culprit that's damaging their combs. It's in a corner and it looks to me like they have to angle their necks in order to get their heads in to feed. I suspect when they pull their heads out, they're snagging their combs on the port because they cannot pull their heads straight out. Turn the feeder so it faces straight out into the run and see if that helps.

That one feeder in the corner may be the culprit that's damaging their combs. It's in a corner and it looks to me like they have to angle their necks in order to get their heads in to feed. I suspect when they pull their heads out, they're snagging their combs on the port because they cannot pull their heads straight out. Turn the feeder so it faces straight out into the run and see if that helps.
Ok, I’ll try moving it! Thanks

Hmm, do you think they might be trying to stick their beaks out the small squares to munch on the vegetation outside the run? Is their waterer too high and maybe they’re jumping and smashing their beaks into it trying to get a drink? Or are their beaks getting caught on the little ball dribbly thing of their waterer? Anything sharp in their feeder they might bang their beaks into or get them caught on?

As for the combs, check the inside lip of that part of the feeder that they stick their heads into. Is there anything sharp on the edge that they might be scraping their combs against? Same with all those other containers they stick their heads in, give the inside edges a feel.
I can stick my hand in and nothing feels sharp, but I think there is one edge that I could round out more with some sandpaper. I’ll give that a try too.

Is there a hole right there? Maybe they’re sticking their heads under the edge of the run frame. They find the darndest ways to injure themselves don’t they? Have you sat out and observed them in there for a bit? A camera could help, too.
IMG_5320.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom