Need help finding a correct sized padlock and carabiner for gate latch…

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
I’m very confused. I wanna buy a gate latch and a padlock for my coop door, but I’m unsure of what size to get. I’m thinking about getting 2 gate latches, but one would have a padlock with a key and the other would have a carabiner (I think the combination one, but I’m not sure). How do I determine what size is correct for the padlocks?

The size padlock depends a lot on the size of the latch. With a standard latch you can use a standard lock. It also depends on why you are using the padlock. Different locks have different levels of security. For example, a lock just to keep a door from opening in bad weather will be less severe of a lock that's meant to keep people out. A picture of the style of latch that you have in mind and what the purpose is for the lock will better help us assist.

The size padlock depends a lot on the size of the latch. With a standard latch you can use a standard lock. It also depends on why you are using the padlock. Different locks have different levels of security. For example, a lock just to keep a door from opening in bad weather will be less severe of a lock that's meant to keep people out. A picture of the style of latch that you have in mind and what the purpose is for the lock will better help us assist.
1628800427787.jpeg

I believe this is the one I’m talking about. I want to use this to keep predators (such as raccoons) from opening the coop door.

View attachment 2795362
I believe this is the one I’m talking about. I want to use this to keep predators (such as raccoons) from opening the coop door.
Any small to standard size padlock should work then. If you go to your local hardware store/Lowes/home Depot you can find your latch then take it to the lock section and try out which size fits best. Since its just for raccoons you really just need something that locks so you wouldn't need anything huge.

Back
Top Bottom