Need help with egg bound silky

Needhelpforsilky

Hatching
Oct 9, 2024
Ok so i have a silky hen shes qbout 1 year qnd half years old and we raised her indoors alone. Two days ago she layed an egg in the morning and then later around 7pm or something she layed another egg!
It was completely without any shell
She has had many experiences with soft shelled eggs and I changed her diet and calcium in take but I assumed it was because she had vitamin d deficiency or sth
Shes been acting weird. She never sleeped in the house. Other than that she's eating and drinking. I gave her liquid calcium and I gave her warm bath but not with the salt everyone said I should use. I went to find it but I couldn't
Shes also burying her head in her wings which she never did
I cant identify the egg in her body either
Is there any subsitue for Epsom salt?
And this is her last poop

Attachments

• 20241009_233553.jpg
    20241009_233553.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 10
Ok so i have a silky hen shes qbout 1 year qnd half years old and we raised her indoors alone. Two days ago she layed an egg in the morning and then later around 7pm or something she layed another egg!
It was completely without any shell
She has had many experiences with soft shelled eggs and I changed her diet and calcium in take but I assumed it was because she had vitamin d deficiency or sth
Shes been acting weird. She never sleeped in the house. Other than that she's eating and drinking. I gave her liquid calcium and I gave her warm bath but not with the salt everyone said I should use. I went to find it but I couldn't
Shes also burying her head in her wings which she never did
I cant identify the egg in her body either
And this is her last poop
Can you try and use your hand/fingers to feel in the underbelly/vent area? sometimes you can feel the egg and aid in massaging it out (be very careful not to break an egg inside a chicken) As far as Epsom salt im not aware of any subsitutes however even just a warm bath will help. So far I think your doing the right thing by giving her calcium.

is she walking bowlegged or weird?

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Are you in the US? Epsom salt is found in the pharmacy department not with the seasonings.. it helps by magnesium that absorbs through the skin to sooth sore muscles.. given orally will cause diarhea.

A pooping bird is not in the technical state of being egg bound, as that would stop most poops from passing through certainly any solid ones and is usually deadly within about 48 hours.. though there may be something stuck higher up in the reproductive tract.. or other reproductive issues. For instance, what's known as egg yolk periotonitis or Salpingitis (commonly called lash egg) are possibilities that could arise from an unformed egg not exiting as it should.

However, there may be other issues going on.. please describe her diet including treats and supplements. Does she have any outdoor access? How many hours of light (including indoors) is she exposed to on a daily basis?

At her age she may be getting ready to molt. Has she ever molted before? Please describe what you mean by "acting weird" to get more feed back.

The following link has some pretty good information.. to see other possibilities aside from calcium or D deficiency.. scroll down to the section that describes shell-less eggs..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Hope you find some answers and she starts acting normal again soon! :fl

Back
Top Bottom