new here and too chickens

4 nest boxes are enough for 12 - 16 hens. So you really don't need more unless adding more hens in the future.
smile.png

Looks great overall. The only thing I would add to the coop is a chicken door so if anything digs under the fence they can't get to the chickens. Not sure where you live but metal roofing turns a coop into an oven. So you may want to pack some insulation up there. If you can get some cheap linoleum for the floor it makes life a lot easier for cleaning and keeps the floor from rotting. Just my suggestions.

im in western washington. not too worried about overheating as there is good venting and a window to be installed. as for roosts ill have one in front of nest box and some more in the pen. there will be a coop door. i thought each chicken had their own box, they lay there eggs with another egg present already from another hen??? linolium is a great idea ill try to find some . thanks

Last edited:
They will share the nest no problem. Sometimes they'll even get in the same box at the same time even if there's an empty one right next to it. Go figure....

Thak you for all your help. i will hopefully finish it up today if the rain stops. scarlet seams to like it. still not so happy about not having the run of the yard but loves the coop it self.

Rooster, one of the things I'm discovering is that my chickens, and even Bo (my Barred Rock chick, appx 4 wks old?) like to roost HIGH. I would put one roost at 3', one at 5', and one at 7' if I had the height.

I let Bo have the run of the bathroom today and when I came back, she was sitting in the flowerpot on the windowsill, which is 5' off the ground! She looked quite pleased with herself!

When I let the dogs outside, for about 20 minutes she gets the run of the kitchen if she has pooped recently. I was sitting at my kitchen desk, paying some bills, and she scared me out of my wits: with a sudden flutter of wings, she was crash landing in the middle of the desk!! She hopped from the desk up to my shoulder and promptly took a nap. I think she thinks she's a parrot!

Back
Top Bottom