New here, but not new to chickens

Thank you for the response.

I use plastic waterers because I would normally put ACV in the water.

I took a stool sample to the vet, and it came back positive for Coccidiosis.

I guess I have been very fortunate up to this point, with no Coccidiosis for 3 years.

The vet gave me a bottle of Amprolium to mix into the water, and some more antibiotics.

Hopefully this is the end of this ordeal, and I don't have to deal with this again.

Sadly... I lost my "Auburn" in the process. I'm still upset with myself for being complacent, but again... this was never an issue before

The girls have been taken care of.

So I have been racking my brain... trying to figure out what is different this year, and how my birds ended up getting Coccidiosis.

I think I have it figured out.

I live in the Great Lakes area, where the surrounding farm fields are sandy loam. Usually the ground stays moist a few feet down.

This year we have had never ending rainfall, leaving the farm fields saturated. My 2 Acres are holding water so much, the ground is soggy, and I have standing water.

I'm going to speculate that all the water reactivated the Coccidia in the soil.

Once again I get reminded that I live in the "Great Black Swamp.🤔

Wow, interesting. Thank you. I am wondering whether my hen is having this. She has the same-looking poop, very swollen abdomen. I don't know whether you can have different issues causing similar such symptoms.

If you have a chicken vet nearby, take a stool sample to the vet. It only takes 20 minutes for the results.

Did the vet say there was an abundance of coccidia in the slide under the microscope or just a couple. All chickens may have a few, but it is usually not common for older chickens to get an overload of it. I’m sorry for you loss, and it is good that you are treating them. What dosage are you using?

For my sick ones the dose is .5ml amoxicillin and corid for the water, per the label.

IMG_20240503_215830065.jpg

Update...

I am now seeing chicken poop that looks like chocolate pudding.

Is that a good or bad sign?

Back
Top Bottom