New to chickens - sick flock - need advice please

wraith2626

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 17, 2007
Let me thank everyone in advance. I have enjoyed lurking these forums through my decission to get chickens and all of you and your wonderful experiences, tales, and examples of how and what to do made my decission for me to join the chicken club.

With that said, I need your help for this newbie since the two pullets I have that are in danger are of course the two that my two sons (3 and 5) have adopted, named, and could not stand to lose).

I have 7 pullets, apprimately 12 weeks old. I also have 3 senior ladies who are 18 months old.

I have had a problem rotating through the flock (that I have had for 3 weeks).

The older hens first started with problems of running noses, sneezing and coughing, and combs that were flat on th head. These egg laying hens also stopped laying and have not resumed for two weeks.

They however seem to be on the mend. I have to date provided ACV in their water and have added Vi-Tal in the correct dosage as well.

The real issue now is my pullets are getting the same thing and it looks much more severe. In addition to the running noses, loss of appetite, the two pullets who show symptoms have bubbles in the eyes to the point of not being able to see, and they have a strong odor about them that just plain stinks.

I have picked up Duramycin-10 and Terramycin powder from the local feed store - but have not adminstered any since both packages say "not for egg laying flocks". Is this of any use, if so, with future egg laying hens for human consumption is there a withdrawl period or simply a "do not use" approach?

My two questions are:

1. Any ideas on what could be going around the hen house?
2. If so, any ideas on potential treatments?

Again, I will thank anyone who has taken the time to read my rather lengthy post in advance. Please help me save "Love" and "Farmer" - my two buff orpingtons my sons named.

Regards.
Wraith...

I'm sorry I have not faced that situation myself and don't know what to do. Hopefully wes or i think dlunicorn or others will be along soon. You can always try the search feature and search for dlunicorn who has great links to all kinds of help for illnesses.

This sounds like inf. coryza...here is a link :
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza

...you can order meds from First State Vet Supply (see link below on Peter Browns recommendation from FirstState Vet and clik on the link provided there at the top right>FIRSTSTATEVET)...Peter is very helpful and if you send an email with your order saying URGENT/EMERGENCY and ask that it be shipped overnight I am pretty positive he can do this for you (he is very nice and helpful)
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Coryza/CoryzaTreatment_PeterBrown.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom