Newly hatched Keets - Do I leave them with momma?

I had the same question, which is how i landed on this forum. I wanted to gather the keets (13) to put into a brooder, but mama Guinea wasn’t having it! We managed to get the male away from mama Guinea and her babies and guide them into a hoop coop (Separate from the main coop). Mama is calling out to her mate, but there’s no way I’m letting her and her babies out or him in. I’m thinking maybe a week or 2 and I’ll be able to let mama out, since the keets should have their feathers and won’t need mama for the warmth (it’s August so keets should be fine).
Why don't you want the male in with the family group? Guinea males often participate in raising the keets.

I had the same question, which is how i landed on this forum. I wanted to gather the keets (13) to put into a brooder, but mama Guinea wasn’t having it! We managed to get the male away from mama Guinea and her babies and guide them into a hoop coop (Separate from the main coop). Mama is calling out to her mate, but there’s no way I’m letting her and her babies out or him in. I’m thinking maybe a week or 2 and I’ll be able to let mama out, since the keets should have their feathers and won’t need mama for the warmth (it’s August so keets should be fine).
I am an absolute Guinea neophyte and @R2elk has been an invaluable source of advice for me. Thought we had hens but ended up w/28 eggs in a “free range” nest; 19 fertile; 3 didn’t hatch; 1 was practically DOA; later 1 was mortally wounded by pug; 1 was lost/taken while ranging w/mom. So, in the beginning mom and dad had one little keet following them around. I thought it needed some siblings with it so I gave her three from the brooder. The four of them followed mom and dad for a few days so I gave her two more then and another two for a total of eight. Two days ago she just had seven and the six in the brooder moved to our neighbor’s place. The seven with her and dad have been promised to a friend but I’m not having much luck or inclination taking them away…not bc I don’t want to give them to my friend but rather bc I get so much joy watching this little Guinea family. This Guinea mommy is the most fierce mommy I have ever encountered; dad is vigilant and security conscious; he won’t let the teenage guineas (the Boneheads!) near them. He’s not a perfect dad, the pug was able to grab one while he was chasing away the curious Boneheads. But now I’m wondering: How long will mommy let them sleep under her???

The keets are now 18 days old. On day 16 mom and dad brought them into the yard. The first night, she bed them down between a raised garden bed and a building. Last night she bed down with them inside the hoop coop. These two are amazing parents. Both are ensuring the four chickens and six Boneheads (3mo old guineas) keep a safe distance from the babies and that the babies have a wide range for discovery and learning. Yesterday I watched in horror as M&D lead the babies from the upper deck to the roof of the porch, over the peak to the other side then fly to the ground and call the babies. The boldest baby didn’t hesitate; it spread its stubby little wings, launched and landed inches from mom; the other five followed suit, one after the other. Today, mom and babies are starting to have more distance between them for longer periods and the babies aren’t staying “stuck together like Velcro” as much, but a word from mom gets their attention and dad rushes in to get between them and danger. I know she can’t count like I count but she knows how many babies she’s supposed to have and she watches them like a hawk. They are an amazing little family and I am so blessed to get to witness their experiences.

Attachments

• IMG_9902.jpeg
    IMG_9902.jpeg
    744.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9898.jpeg
    IMG_9898.jpeg
    751.5 KB · Views: 3
Why don't you want the male in with the family group? Guinea males often participate in raising the keets.
Because I watched the male peck at some of the keets, literally picking them up and dropping them to the ground. While that may be something they do to toughen them up, I don’t know, but I didn't want to take any chances. He pretty much stands guard at the hoop coop, wondering off occasionally. Even when he’s at the coop, he’s trying to peck at the keets .

Because I watched the male peck at some of the keets, literally picking them up and dropping them to the ground. While that may be something they do to toughen them up, I don’t know, but I didn't want to take any chances. He pretty much stands guard at the hoop coop, wondering off occasionally. Even when he’s at the coop, he’s trying to peck at the keets .
Not all males are good fathers.

Back
Top Bottom