No air cell on the 23rd day

Lillyrulez

Hatching
Jun 20, 2024
It's our first time letting our hen do the hatching and we expected some chicks two days ago, when they didn't hatch then I took some from under her and candled them but there was no air cell. Eggs were completely dark. Is this normal after 23 days or are my eggs dead? :(

Okay I lied just checked back and saw an air cell on almost every egg idk what I was on before. How long should I wait before I call it

@Lillyrulez Are you absolutely sure about the # of days? Did you candle during incubation to monitor development? My comments are based solely on my own broody experience. If she is still very determined, you could let it play out a bit longer. She will give up on her own (kick the bad eggs out or abandon the nest when she feels it’s hopeless). If/when that happens, candle the eggs, look for pips, and watch for movement before you toss them. Eggtopsies may be in order for you to be certain the chicks have passed. I hope this has helped you. Let us all know what happens.

I have heard of it taking 30 days. If they don't hatch soon, she will give up and abandon them. Give it a few days and let us know what happens.

@Lillyrulez Are you absolutely sure about the # of days? Did you candle during incubation to monitor development? My comments are based solely on my own broody experience. If she is still very determined, you could let it play out a bit longer. She will give up on her own (kick the bad eggs out or abandon the nest when she feels it’s hopeless). If/when that happens, candle the eggs, look for pips, and watch for movement before you toss them. Eggtopsies may be in order for you to be certain the chicks have passed. I hope this has helped you. Let us all know what happens.
I'm leaning more towards today being the 22nd day right now and this is the first time I've candled them since she started. I'll keep you guys updated forsure!

Update: None of the eggs hatched and there were no signs of life. We went to tractor supply and picked up some chicks and successfully gave them to the mama, she didnt attack them. Did a float test on the eggs to make sure they were dead and then an eggtopsy seems like they died around day 18 and they smelled pretty bad, not gonna forget that smell. Assuming my hen was just not very good at turning them or something. sad :(

Update: None of the eggs hatched and there were no signs of life. We went to tractor supply and picked up some chicks and successfully gave them to the mama, she didnt attack them. Did a float test on the eggs to make sure they were dead and then an eggtopsy seems like they died around day 18 and they smelled pretty bad, not gonna forget that smell. Assuming my hen was just not very good at turning them or something. sad :(
I’m sorry to hear the chicks made it so far and didn’t hatch. 🙁 But, it’s good to hear that she accepted the new chicks. Let us know how they’re doing. Always like receiving happy updates. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom