RubyTheChicken

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2024
I have ten-week-old chicks, and I saw that tsc feed is bad. I have been using cluck & co from tsc. Should I switch feeds? Or is it just layer feed that is bad from tsc? My goal is not just good eggs, but also healthy chickens. Also, is it bad to expose a rooster to layer pellets? I have three of tsc's "sexed pullets" that may be roosters. they are chest bumping and they fly at each other and puff up their necks. They may be dominant hens, but I would prefer not to poison them by accident.

This is not to spook and scare anybody but you should be aware that their is an existing situation that is causing people to return tainted feed at Rural King. I hate to use names and this is by no means public shaming. This is factual.
My neighbor's son works at Rural King here locally. I was told often that customers return feed bags that are wet and moldy on one end of the bag's contents. This is coming from him... "some people bringing in their dogs and they are peeing on the pallet of bags". He told us this once awhile back while we were returning molded on one end feed. It is not all dog owners he says, just some bad apples.
All I'm saying is be aware of possibilities of contamination when purchasing feed from stores that encourage dog owners to bring their dogs to go shopping like at Rural King.. free dog biscuits! woot!
We purchase our feeds thru a local feed store warehouse type set up. All the feed is out and away from the dogs.
You all should return any wet, moldy, insects or mostly powder feed for a refund. And don't grab a bag off the bottom of a pallet.

You will get bad bags of feed from anywhere every once in a while. I have found, however, that certain brands (Dumor and Producer's Pride, specifically) from my local TSC are often moldy. I don't know why. But I can say I've never had a problem with the Nutrena Naturewise feed I've bought from there. It's a good feed and their All Flock would be a good choice for your flock of hens and roos as long as you provide crushed oyster shell on the side. Do check the mill dates and only purchase those that are 4 months old or newer.

Back
Top Bottom